Friday, 15 January 2016

Excess worm food

Fruit and Vegie scraps blitzed in food processor

What do you do when you have too much worm food for your worm farm?? I dig mine into our vegetable garden. I have a patch at the back that I don't plant out, and for the occasions when the worms just have too much food in the actual worm farm, I remove the mulch, turn a shovel full of soil and deposit the blitzed worm food and cover back up.  I always blitz the worm food in the food processor as it is almost broken down for the worms therefore it is "processed" faster! I have had a worm farm for about 10 years, I love that we throw in scraps and are rewarded with liquid gold in the form of worm tea. We drain it about once a fortnight and use it in a ratio of 1 part worm tea to 9 parts water. It makes excellent soil conditioner.


Remove mulch

Turn and remove shovel full of soil
Add blitzed fruit and vegetable scraps
Put soil back over worm food

No comments:

Post a Comment