Monday, 11 January 2016

How to make a Sourdough Starter


Who doesn't love bread let alone a good sourdough bread, a while ago I thought I would give it a crack to see if I could make my own sourdough starter. I did some research, and found the internet choc a block with sourdough starter recipes, but found this one by Nourishedkitchen.com simple by comparison. I love Jenny's uncomplicated step by step method with ingredients everyone will have access to. It is easy, all you need is flour, water (filtered) and TIME. 

Ingredients

Flour (I used everyday, plain flour)
Filtered water

Method

Whisk 1/4 plain flour with 3 tablespoons filtered water in a tall, wide mouthed jar. Let sit for 12 hours

12 hours later, add 1/2 cup flour and 1/3 cup water to jar and whisk thoroughly

Continue this method of adding and whisking every 12 hours, for a week

If you find your jar getting too full, pour off about a 1/3 of the sourdough starter and using a spatula wipe clean the inside of the jar. This is a good habit of getting into as it keeps all the "goodness" within the mixture rather than up the sides of the jar.

After about the 3rd or 4th day,  your sourdough starter should start to bubble and froth. It will start to expand after a "feed" and relax down again after a few hours, this is normal behaviour

By the end of the week the sourdough started should be strong enough to make sourdough bread and to store in the fridge, where it goes to sleep, till you waken it again by taking it out of the fridge, let it come to room temperature, giving it a "feed", waiting for it to bubble and use it to make sourdough bread and so the cycle goes on... If you look after your starter it will be with you a for a long time, however if things go awry, it's OK, you can always start again, like I have, many times!

I will be making sourdough bread in the morning and will post on here the recipe I follow.



Bubbly Sourdough starter ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment