Friday, 25 March 2016

This weeks Five Frugal things on a Friday/things I am grateful for on this Good Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

I have re-purposed this weeks 5 frugal things on a Friday post and turned it into 5 things I am thankful for. Please feel free to add your own in the comments.

 I was bought up a Catholic and even though I no longer go to church, habits of a lifetime are hard to let go of. My Mum was a Catholic and Dad was an Agnostic, but he always supported Mums faith. Reflecting on Easter through the eyes of a child makes me very fond of this religious festival. I still abstain from meat until Easter Sunday, and feel so very lucky we have access to fresh fish and prawns to eat during this time.

I think living a frugal life is a good thing to do, it highlights the fact that you are grateful for the life you live and I aspire to live a small, thankful life. With this in mind, this weeks 5 frugal things on a Friday is being re-purposed into 5 things I am thankful for, they may seem emotionally heavy but it is what my heart is telling me.

1. I am so eternally grateful for my health. I seem to be surrounded by ill health, my Husbands debilitating Brain infection in 2009, working everyday in a hospital, having a very sick Mother in Law, losing my parents to disease and stroke when they were in their 60's. Losing my Father in law last year to a very rare and extremely nasty disease, having my sister deal with chronic food and chemical intolerances that make her unwell sometimes. Seeing people you love, die because of ill health, makes you even more determined to remain healthy. Every day I make choices influenced by the wish to remain healthy and young at heart.

2. I am truly thankful for advice given and listened to, when we were very young, to have a good relationship with money. Don't borrow huge sums of money, never have a credit card, make do with what you have until you can afford what you need and not what you want.

3. I am thankful for my little family. It is important to me to be involved in my families life, good or bad. It is what hardens the family glue and makes hard times easier to handle. I have a pact with my husband that no matter what the situation is, we go through it together, we are a team and a problem shared is a problem halved.

4. I am thankful for my Mums talent for cooking and sewing. She instilled in us the love of good simple food and sewed most of our clothes when we were young. She lived a simple life and never aspired to travel or had grand plans of a bigger life. She was satisfied living a small life and loved us with all her heart. I miss her every day.

5. I am so thankful for my home, it is my sanctuary and the showcase for this simpler life I have chosen to live. I have a garden I work hard in to make fruitful, I have a sewing room to create quilts to be loved and cherished, I have a good kitchen, where I have everything that I need to nourish our bodies and souls.

I hope you all have a happy and healthy Easter, with lots of family time and moments of shared food and love.


So, tell me, what are your 5 things you are grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment