Monday, 4 April 2016

Caramelised Apples with Cinnamon

Hello Dear Reader,

There were 3 apples left languishing in the fruit bowl, now I don't mind apples to eat, crunchy and delicious, but add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, now you are talking my language. So with cinnamon apple-y goodness on the brain I made Caramelised Apples for dessert. You know when a food combination is just right when you can already taste how it will taste before you have cooked it!

Ingredients for Caramelised Apples with Cinnamon
Peel and cut up apples into chunks
Melt butter in a heavy based saucepan
Once butter has started to melt, add brown sugar and cinnamon
Stir on medium heat until it starts to bubble
Add apples, put on a lid and turn heat down to lowest setting for 30 minutes
Take off lid, increase heat to medium and let liquid reduce and thicken, a little
You still want plenty of caramel so don't let it reduce too much
Cinnamon-y Caramel-y goodness


Serve warm with best vanilla icecream. Delish

Ingredients

3 to 4 left behind-apples, any variety. I know some apples are better for cooking but I am aiming to use up apples that may not have been eaten in their prime

50 grams butter

75 grams brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Method

Peel and cut up apples into chunks

In a heavy based frypan, melt butter on medium heat

Add brown sugar and cinnamon and stir on medium until it starts to bubble

Add apples, put on lid and reduce heat to the lowest setting. Cook for 30 minutes

When 30 minutes is up, remove lid, increase heat to medium and let liquid reduce and thicken

Serve warm with  icecream

The scent in you kitchen will have everyone asking "Whats for Dessert"

So, over to you, how do you use up fruit that is past its prime?






4 comments:

  1. I am definitely doing this for dessert tonight. I have so many windfall, birdpecked, hail damaged apples at the moment. I have been stewing them down and freezing them but it will be so nice to do something different with them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I can smell it already! It's on my list for this afternoon - I have two apples that should get used up and a little boy who will absolutely adore it (especially in combination with a newly discovered favorite - speculaas ice cream!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Speculaas ice cream as in Speculaas Dutch spice cookie? A match made in heaven

      Delete
    2. Exactly that! Worth a try! (Speculaas and apples are a very good combo too - I love them in a triffle, and I bet you would too.) And your recipe was a success (and I had the specific instructions to buy enough apples to repeat it!)

      Delete