Saturday, 2 April 2016

Herbs I Grow and Use

Hello Dear Reader,

I grow a few herbs that I find useful, Basil (only small self seeded plants at the moment), Parsley (the old fashioned curly one) Perennial Coriander, Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Rocket and Mint. My favourite way to use Basil is simply torn up in a salad with Mango, drizzled with a Balsamic and Dijon mustard dressing. That balance of flavours is so fresh.
I use Oregano in my Baked Ricotta and any tomato based meat sauce for pasta
I use this Perennial Coriander where ever you would use the normal Coriander, I just chop it up really finely. It's wonderful in this Cashew and Coriander dip
I use mint in Lamb dishes and chop it finely and mix into Greek Yoghurt to use as Raita or just as a herby dip
I adore Rocket and always grow it from seed, it is so prolific. I use it in salads and pesto
So far I have only used the sage in a marinade with Pork and sautéed in a little oil until crisp and sprinkled over Pumpkin soup
I have also planted out some Marjoram and Sorrell for something new to try.

This Sorrel, along with the Marjoram was in a "French Herbs" seedling pack. It is prized for its mild bitter flavour. I think either something is eating it or it is getting a bit sunburnt
The Marjoram has gone nuts. It was once used as a preserve for meat, it is still best friends with lamb and beef. It is also great in omelettes and sautéed mushrooms and vegetable and lentil soup. 

So, tell me, what herbs do you grow and which one is your favourite?




8 comments:

  1. This is one area I really need to work on. I have mint for mint sauce, basil (only a summer crop here because of our vicious frosts) for tomato dishes, and sage for chicken stuffings. Also parsley,which goes into absolutely everything, ditto chives. I have Jekka`s herb book and would dearly love to get into medicinal herbs but there are only so many hours in the day. Oh and I have horseradish- boy do I have horseradish!! I wish someone had told me to plant it in a pot! Still, it makes a lovely sauce that goes with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love herbs, what would we do without them. Great idea for the sage, its been ages since I cooked a Chicken with stuffing. We bought ham for over Easter and have been having it with horseradish cream (shop bought) We had the conversation about what a horseradish looks like and if it is easy to grow! I'll take it that they do indeed grow well.
    Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grow herbs, together with alyssium, in a border along my main veggie patch. There's thyme, basil, oregano there. In other parts of the garden, I have parsley, chives, rosemary and a lemon verbena shrub and some rocket. I use herbs all the time and am looking forward to the cooler months now because I love throwing a handful of herbs into casseroles and stews. I have also found that my little native bees love some of the herb's flowers too, especially basil and rocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, I was over the moon when I first saw bees in my garden. I had left the Bok Choy go to seed and one morning when I was walking about the garden I saw the tiny native bees doing their thing, I was so excited to have them come and visit the flowers. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment again, you know, until yesterday you were the only one who had left a comment! Cheers.

      Delete
  4. Your herbs look so happy and healthy, Fiona! I have mint, chives, curley parsley, basil and thyme in pots and have recently added rosemary and oregano to the mix. I need to go out soon and give everything a good watering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This year I had garlic chives and oregano (both in their second year) which went to seed, flat leaf parsley, curry bush, rosemary and basil. I have used all of them, planted the basil with the tomatoes and loved the aroma when ever I went to pick them. The oregano went really crazy this year and I'm sort of afraid that it will seed all over the garden bed and take over. We mulch quite deeply so hope that keeps things under control. The curry bush smells divine but tastes very different from curry, I think it will be an ornamental plant mainly. I love, love, love my rosemary plant and hope it continues to grow well. Next year I hope to plant majoram and thyme. Other than getting great smelling and tasting culinary plants, I really love seeing the bees making good use of all that nectar. Long live herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. French sorrel should be sour like lemon, not bitter. It's happiest with part shade as a northern temperate plant and plenty of water, and should grow into a vigorous clump with time. I have the red veined variety and use young/small leaves in salad or use it in classic sorrel soup.

    ReplyDelete