Sunday, 17 April 2016

Slow Cooker Red Wine, Beef and Mushroom Cassoulet

Hello Dear Reader,

Autumn has, at last, arrived in Queensland! We have had a long hot summer here and were well and truly ready for the cooler weather. I love the changing of seasons and the new meals we can enjoy with it, I also adore my Slow Cooker and use it continually in Autumn and Winter, although I do use it in the warmer months when making Congee. I had planned on making Beef Stroganoff but when I went to get the Paprika out I found I had none, so instead of going to the shops for one item, I made do with what I had and turned Beef Stroganoff in to Red Wine, Beef and Mushroom Cassoulet.

Ingredients for Red Wine, Beef and Mushroom Cassoulet


Brown and sear the meat in a frypan
While meat is searing, roughly chop an onion and 3 cloves of garlic
Flip meat over and brown the other side
Slice mushrooms and bacon into chunky pieces









Take seared meat out of frypan and add it to the bowl of a slow cooker, to the same frypan, add onion, garlic, mushrooms and bacon. Saute until browned
Now add red wine and tomato paste and let cook for 2 minutes 

Add boozy, tomato-e mushroom/onion mixture to the meat in the slow cooker bowl
Add halved potatoes and give it a good stir. Let cook for 8 hours on low, don't worry that there isn't much "liquid". In 8 hours there will be just the right amount



Ingredients


1 kg Shin beef, kept in whole pieces

1 onion, cut into chunky dice

3 garlic cloves, same as for onion, but smaller of course

500 grams mushrooms, cut into chunky slices

1 cup red wine, not sweet, if there is such a thing (also, not a wine connoisseur)

1/4 cup tomato paste

6 small potatoes, skin on, cut in half

Method


In a frypan melt a small knob of butter with about 1 teaspoon oil (I use Ricebran oil) on medium heat

Add meat to frypan and brown and sear on one side, flip over and do the same to the other side

Remove from frypan, add seared meat to bowl of slow cooker

Add onion, garlic and mushrooms, saute until browned, move to one side of the frypan and add bacon. Cook bacon and then incorporate with mushroom/onion mixture

Add red wine and tomato paste, give it a good stir and cook for 2 minutes

Add this mushroom/onion mixture to meat in the slow cooker

Cook on "low" setting for 8 hours

I served this with a little Sour Cream, Polenta, Steamed Broccoli and Fresh Bread and Butter.

So, tell me, with the cooler weather what are you making this week?

2 comments: