Saturday, 30 April 2016

What we don't buy


Hello Dear Reader,

Today I thought I would tell you what we DON'T buy, I try and live a frugal, simple life and part of this is not buying all the "stuff" that is advertised each week in the supermarkets. I have written about buying some "good food" specials that are sometimes in supermarket catalogues, but alas, most of the foods advertised isn't what we eat, so we simply don't buy them.

As you will see from the list, I limit the amount of single use throw away items and household cleaners, doing this alone, saves us a fortune.

Household items we don't buy

Paper Napkins

Paper plates and cutlery

Air freshener

Fabric Softener

Laundry liquid

Toilet Cleaner

Shower cleaner

Glass cleaner

Cloth Napkins instead of Paper 
As I use up a cleaner I am replacing it with a homemade version
Homemade Shower Cleaner

Food items we don't buy

Breakfast cereals

Instant Porridge mix

Peanut butter

Herbs

Pancake mix

Cake mix

Bread and Bread mix

Soft Drink (except in Summer, we buy Soda water, to make Cordial)

Biscuits/Crackers

Dips

Marinated meats

Meal kits


Homemade Muesli
Home Made Light Rye Bread and Fruit and Spice Loaves
Homemade White Bread Rolls
Perennial Coriander
Common Mint
Lemon and Blueberry Cake made for Easter
Seafood Sauce with a bit of a kick
Homemade Seed and Nut Crackers
Homemade Caramelised Garlic Hummus


Dairy-free, Coriander and Cashew dip

All pretty simple stuff really and once you start making something instead of buying it, it just becomes a habit. So give it a go, and see if it makes a difference in your shopping budget.

So, tell me, what DON'T you buy? And what do you make that is so much better than shop bought?
















5 comments:

  1. I am no where near as good as you and your husband. I don't buy tomato passata, jam and any of those meals you just add meat to, I make all the items from scratch that I don't buy, I started to do this because our son is a coeliac , but now I do it because its better for us and I know exactly what goes in and they taste better. Thanks for sharing, Guida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The caramelised garlic hummus looks divine. Any chance of getting a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Guida,
      If you type "Caramelised garlic" into the search box of my blog it should bring it up. It really is worth doing some next time the oven us on. Enjoy

      Delete
  3. Your baked goods look SO delicious! I have food intolerances so make a lot of my own food but nothing that looks that tasty.

    Just recently I began making dishwasher soap and body butter. I also have made an all-purpose spray cleaner for years and we too, use cloth napkins, rags, and real plates and silverware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy,
      Thanks for the great compliment, would you like to share you dishwasher soap and all-purpose spray recipes?

      Delete