Monday, 30 May 2016

Beef and Red wine casserole with Parsley and Olive Dumplings

Hello Dear Reader,

I had the absolute pleasure of attending a two day "Introduction to Permaculture" last weekend. It was held at Northy Street City Farm and lead by Morag Gamble of "Our Permaculture Life" blog.

 And, as I like to organised, dinner wise, I popped this delicious casserole in the slow cooker before I left on Sunday morning and finished it off when I got home. The little dumplings, on top, are so fluffy and light and perfect for mopping up the red wine infused gravy. It was so lovely to come home to and dinner was on the table within an hour of being home. I was a little late getting home as I missed the 4 pm bus and had to wait for the 5 pm one, but that was okay as I knew there was little to do for dinner.

When I eventually did get home, I just made the dough for the dumplings, popped the casserole in a dish and topped it with the dumpling dough and put it in the oven for 20 minutes, while that was cooking I cut up the broccolini to go with dinner and took my mother in laws dogs for a very quick walk up the road and back. We were sitting down eating by 7 o'clock and I was asleep by 8.30pm. Completely exhausted but thrilled with the weekend I had experienced.

Yet again my slow cooker came to my rescue and made dinner easy.

Ingredients for Beef and Red Wine Casserole with Parsley and Olive Dumplings
Cut meat into chunks
Dust with flour
Heat oil and butter in a heavy based frypan and brown meat on both sides
Put browned meat into slow cooker bowl
Roughly cut up onion and carrots. Grate garlic 
In the same frypan you cooked the meat in, heat some more oil and butter on medium heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes
Add stock, tomato paste and red wine and bring to a simmer, simmer for 5 minutes
Add veggie mixture to browned meat in the slow cooker bowl, cook for 6-8 hours on low setting, giving it a good stir every 2 to 3 hours
After you have made the dumpling dough, place casserole into serving dish
Top casserole with spoonfuls of dumpling dough
Pop into a preheated 160 C oven and cook for 20 minutes or until dumplings are golden brown
...................................................................................................................................................................

Parsley and Olive Dumplings

Ingredients for Parsley and Olive Dumplings
In a bowl, add the flour and rub in the butter. I cut it in with a butter knife. I got carried away and started to add the chopped parsley. You add the other ingredients after you rub in the butter to the flour
Now add chopped parsley, chopped olives, egg and grated cheese
Stir with knife to combine
Add enough milk to make a dough
Spoon dough onto top of casserole
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown
The dumplings are so fluffy and light and perfect for mopping up the red wine infused sauce


Ingredients for Casserole

1 kg beef chuck. cut into large chunks

2 tablespoons plain flour

Oil and butter for browning the meat

2 medium onion, roughly chopped

2 garlic cloves, grated on a microplane

2 carrots, roughly chopped

1 cup of red wine, what ever is going 

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 cups beef stock (I use Massel stock cubes)

4 sprigs fresh Thyme

Parsley and Olive Dumplings

1 cup SR flour

50 grams cold butter, cubed

1 egg

1/4 cup each of grated parmesan cheese, deseeded and chopped kalamata olives and chopped parsley

1/4 cup milk, you won't need all of it

Method for Casserole

Coat meat in flour, shake off excess, heat oil and butter and brown in a heavy based frypan. Put browned meat in the bowl of a slow cooker

In the same frypan, sauté onions, garlic and carrots, add tomato paste, red wine and stock, bring to the boil then add this red wine mixture to the meat in the slow cooker bowl

Cook for 6-8 hours on low, giving it a good stir every 2-3 hours

When the casserole is almost ready, make the dumpling dough

Place flour and butter in a bowl, rub or cut in the butter. Add parsley, olives, parmesan and egg and using a knife give it a good stir, now add enough of the milk to make a soft, sticky dough

Transfer the casserole to a serving dish and drop smallish tablespoons of dumpling dough on top of the casserole, they will expand so leave a bit of a room around each dumpling. Pop into a preheated oven (160 C) for 20 minutes or until the dumplings are plump and golden brown

Another fantastic slow cooker meal that makes you look like a super star. This dish is perfect for cold winter nights. It is hearty and full of flavour.

So, tell me, what is your favourite slow cooker meal?


5 comments:

  1. We used to have dumpling stew when I was a kid to stretch the meal. Tomato and Date Chutney. 4 onions chopped, 2 lge cooking apples peeled cored and chopped, finger of ginger grated, 1tspn cinnamon, 500g brown sugar, 175ml malt vinegar, 200g pittted dates chopped up a bit. Everything except dates in saucepan. Halfway to 2/3 through cooking add dates. Very very nice with cheese on bread. I think the brown sugar malt vinegar and dates makes it almost caramelised. Sandra from NSW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra, Thank you so very much for the recipe, it sounds just divine! I think it would go with so much, hey!
    How many tomatoes would I add?
    Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, it really does make my day.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! 600g. I love finding Aussie blogs,seeing how other people work out their routines and finding ways of making do. I like to think we're channeling our Grandmothers and their ingenuity at feeding and keeping a house hold with basic ingredients. I am so glad we live today though, imagine life without garlic or pesto of all those different veg that they didn't have. I don't usually comment, but jam and chutney making have become part of my life and so nice to find someone else with a jar fetish!! Sandra.

      Delete
  3. OMG! Thank you SO much for the dumpling recipe. I have not had these since I was little and my mother used to cook them - they were tasteless and basically just used to fill us up. So I've not had one pass my lips since the 80s. But I made a slow cooker chicken casserole the other day and remembered your recipe - I had all the ingredients so thought I'd give it a try. Forgot to put the egg in, but hey - they were still divine! Will definitely be making more of these this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alwin,
    No worries, they are a lovely little morsel aren't they? My mum aiso used to make them, she made hers with onion and parsley and were always a lovely treat. Have a great weekend
    Fi

    ReplyDelete