Friday, 20 May 2016

This weeks 5 Frugal things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

I believe being frugal takes energy and gusto and my energy levels are running very low at the moment. Even so, being frugal is such a part of me now that I do things so automatically I don't even realise I am doing them. Take for instance, when I was preparing the pumpkin for roasting last Sunday, I automatically rinsed, dried and kept the seeds, for either roasting with oil, five spice and salt or planting out in the garden when the time is right.

I have also had a huge week at work and am constantly exhausted even though I am sleeping well, I am hitting the wall by about 11 o'clock, everyday. I can't wait for my holiday in June, my sister and I are going to Norfolk Island for a Ballroom Dancing week and even though we will be dancing every day and night I think it will recharge my batteries both physically and emotionally.

So this weeks 5 frugal things on a Friday are:

1. Saved the warm up water from the shower to water the figs out the front. It is very dry at the moment and there is no rain predicted

2. Kept the seeds from a spectacular pumpkin to plant out when the time is right


3. Made a loaf of light rye bread and fruit and spice loaf from scratch


4. Used the slow cooker to make two meal, the slow cooker draws very little power




5. Rode to work everyday = no outlay for petrol or parking

So,  join in and tell me, what are your frugal or free accomplishments this week?

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you that I have the same dishes, & I love to see your food photographed on them. I enjoy your blog. I live a frugal lifestyle in GA, USA. Thanks. Mary Ann Cauthen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann,
      Welcome aboard stay home instead, I do love the willow pattern, my nan had the willow pattern plates when we were growing up and, as kids, we just loved them. We would hurry through our lunch just to look at the design and try and work it out. It's funny how things influence your future life as I always associate this pattern with good food. Thanks for commenting , have a great day. Fi

      Delete
  2. Hi Fiona, your pulled pork dish looks spectacular! I'm hopefully going to try making it next week. Will let you know how I go! A few frugal things for me this week include walking my kids to and from school each day, saving petrol & wear and tear on my car, made some more washing powder (I use Rhonda's recipe from her Down to Earth book) also I grabbed some bargain kids t-shirts on clearance in Target for $2 each. Sorry to hear you're feeling burnt out, not a nice feeling at all. It is so true, that being frugal and living a 'simple' life do require more energy, effort and motivation. Some days I do far better with this and others are not so great, as I just don't have the energy some days... Take care & try to get some extra rest or recharge in your garden or sewing room on the weekend :) Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,
      That incidental walking does everyone the world of good, and it does save the car. And it is probably a good time to talk to the kids about their day as well.
      Thanks for the kind words, life is just a wee bit too taxing at the moment, but I will bounce back, I always do. I am doing a permaculture course this weekend with Morag from "Our Permaculture Life" blog, I don't think it will be too full on, and I am really looking forward to it. Have a wonderful weekend.
      Fi

      Delete