Thursday, 26 May 2016

Thrifted and leftover fabric = Another bag

Hello Dear Reader,

When we went up to Maleny, 4 weeks ago, I bought some beautiful fabric (the one in the foreground) from Sapling Textiles, it was on the clearance table. There was just over a meter of this beautiful fabric and I thought it would make a nice bag, so thats what I did.

The top piece of fabric, was sold as a scarf, it looks just lovely on and the bottom piece was a remnant, the last of a roll of fabric. It is so lovely as it is already patch worked together in strips
I used the same pattern/method I have been using for a while, if you are interested it's here. Because I wanted to use every bit of this material, it has turned out slightly narrower and slightly longer than the finished dimensions of the one in the video. I also ended up with longer straps, a little too long actually and I had to sew a loop at the base of the strap, where it attaches to the edge of the bag, to take up the extra length. These loops have become "clip on" loops for keys and are very handy, no more searching the bottom on the bag for keys!

Above is the outside of the bag, pinned together with the bamboo batting and before I quilted it. The inner was sewn exactly the same minus the bamboo batting, and trimmed to match the outside, the edges sewn together, the corners boxed and I then made the straps and assembled the bag. The tutorial for this bag is fantastic
A beautiful and practical bag made from a remnant of material that cost $8.00
I love it!


I love the Missouri Star Quilt Company youtube clips. Jenny is such a wiz and a wonderful teacher. Have a look, you'll love her straight forward, easy tutorials. 



So, tell me, do you have a favourite pattern you have used over and over?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your interesting blog!!!

    I have a question. As I hope to make cleaning the shower easier ( also hate this chore) and having read you post, I was wondering about the scourer that you use to clean. Does it scratch the glass? I went to Aldi and bought power force genie wand. Is that what you use? Appreciate your thoughts
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, the Aldi brand is exactly the one I use. I wet the glass first and then using small circles buff the glass. If you are worried, I would patch test a small section first. Then rinse well, and follow with a chamois. I haven't had any problems with scratching of the shower glass. Hope that helps. Have a great day

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your quick reply
      most helpful
      Irene

      Delete
  2. Your bag looks great Fiona! There are a few patterns I have used quite alot now. I love the lined drawstring pouch by Jeni Baker. She has a free tutorial for one size on her blog, In Color Order. Another fav is the pillowcases on A Spoonful of Sugar blog. Love these as they look great & function well as they have a cuff. Lisa has lots of lovely free tutorials on her blog actually, so definitely check it out if you haven't already discovered it yourself. Cheers, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for info Kelly, I will definitely be looking at those blogs, have a splendid Sunday

      Delete