Monday, 18 July 2016

Biryani with Yoghurt, Chutney and Papadums

Hello Dear Reader,

When we have leftover rice I normally make Fried Rice, however when I found this recipe on
The Life Of Clare blog and as I had all the ingredients, Biryani it was. I tweaked the recipe a little, adding dried chilli to give it a bit of warmth and used fresh saw tooth coriander instead of ground coriander.

I like the spice flavour really punchy, you can reduce the amount of spice if you like it less "in your face" Also, as there is a lot of spice, you want to make sure you cook your spices really well or you will end up with a powdery feel to the palate.


Ingredients

1 tablespoon oil and 20 grams butter

500 grams lean beef mince

4 cups cooked and cooled rice (I use Basmati)

1 large onion, finely diced

2 garlic cloves, grated on a microplane

A nob of ginger, about 5 cm, grated on a microplane

4 teaspoons each of Cumin and Turmeric

2 teaspoons Garam Marsala

2 star anise

2 teaspoons dried chilli

2/3 cup of sultanas

Bunch of Coriander ( I have Perennial Coriander or Saw Tooth Coriander growing) chopped finely

Method

On medium/low heat, melt butter with the oil in a heavy based frypan

Add onion, garlic and ginger and gently sauté until onions are translucent

Add all spices and sauté until fragrant

Move this onion/spice mixture to one side of the pan and add mince. Break up and brown the mince until cooked through

Incorporate the onion/spice mix into the cooked mince

Add sultanas and mix well

Reduce heat to lowish and add the rice, incorporate well, until all the rice has turned a beautiful golden colour

Add chopped coriander and mix through, reserving some for sprinkling on top

Serve with papadums, natural yoghurt and chutney


So, tell me, what do you do with left over rice?

P.S. Do you like the photo's? I have been reading a lot about food photography and have started to use some tips and tricks. I hope you enjoy some new and improved photos from me. I won't be able to do it all the time as the key to a beautiful photo is natural lighting. As I am at work during the week, I may only be able to take a photo like this when I am at home on the weekends.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog & do lots of similar "homemaking" things as you. I am much older than you & live in GA, USA. Liked your photo & recipe today. When my weather cools a bit, I will try some of your break recipes. Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary Ann, thanks for the positive feedback about the photos and recipe. I have taken a few more "improved" photos over the weekend and will share them soon. Have a great day
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos look very professional Fiona. I love that pretty blue plate, the pattern is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Veronica,
    Thankyou, I took some more food photos today and will be sharing them soon. I have a lovely collection of plates and settings due to my late father in laws fetish for collecting fine china. He couldn't walk past an antique shop without buying something. Thanks for commenting it always makes my day.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete