Monday, 4 July 2016

Food Waste - its starts and ends with us

Hello Dear Reader,

I wrote a little while ago about why I don't stockpile food. I know it is a great system for some, but at this stage of my life, it isn't for me. I like to have just enough food to last the week until lovely hubby goes shopping again. Nothing is wasted, everything is used up, and my goal is to have zero waste.

I find it easier to have zero waste if we don't have a huge amount of food in the house, we are lucky and blessed to have enough food to eat and feel an obligation to our food growers not to waste anything. As I grow some of our fruit and vegetables, I know how much water goes into growing food, this is another reason I refuse to waste food. Water is our most precious and expensive resource.

The contents of my fridge, on Saturday afternoon.
 Lovely Hubby shops on a Wednesday, so this is half way through the week.
The crisper draw, Along with all contents of my fridge, all veggies are sealed or wrapped well to prevent wastage. Any leafy veg, like silverbeet, gets wrapped in newspaper and then in a recycled plastic bag. The leaves stay really firm and non-wilt-y 
Rhonda from Down to Earth blog had put this link up for the weekend reading post. The figure of $8 Billions Dollars worth of food waste is just unbelievable and disgraceful and it must stop. From the moment we purchase food it becomes our responsibility to ensure that it is treated well, to keep it in  good condition and to use it in a timely manner. My solution for this is to buy only what we need for the week ahead, store it well and have all fresh food visible to reduce the risk of something being overlooked. It's a simple process but it works for me.

So, tell me, what is your solution to prevent food waste, in your home?

11 comments:

  1. I don't stockpile either although if something nonperishable I use a
    lot of is on sale I'll buy extra (2 litres of olive oil at a market
    yesterday). I don't have the room and it doesn't suit how I cook.
    Usually I look at what needs to be used up and base meals around
    that. We buy all our fruit and veg at the market once a week so I
    have kind of a rule that we can only use that stuff and not buy
    anything else (stuff from the garden is acceptable!). I often
    wonder who it is wasting all this food since it certainly isn't
    me and it obviously isn't you either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,
      I also don't have a large pantry and it's another reason why I don't stockpile, I guess. , it's big enough for what we need though. Having enough is plenty. I love your rule of using the fresh produce up and not buying anything else, it's a great system.
      Fi

      Delete
  2. Dear Fiona, I do stockpile but only on the things that we use often eg almond milk, toilet paper, shampoo and conditioner, tin tomatoes and soup. I don't like paying full price for anything, so when they are on special I stock up. I have a huge pantry so storage is not a problem.

    I like your method though, I am torn between the two :)

    Thank you for the tip for keeping veggies fresh, I will be trying that :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, I live literally 100 meters from our nearest supermarket, it was built about 2 years ago and is very handy, I think it's another reason that I don't feel the need to stockpile. If I lived rural it would probably be a different story. I also love a bargain, but I am finding good food specials harder to find.
      Fi

      Delete
    2. Yes that is the other thing. We do live seven kilometres out of town, and I only go to the supermarket if I have other errands to do :)

      xTania

      Delete
  3. I used to throw away food the day after its best before date. I know better now ... Great blog by the way !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive feedback, it makes my day.
      Fi

      Delete
  4. As we grow our food and raise our meat, a lot of work goes in to it so nothing is wasted, I buy in basics in bulk flour sugar tea rice and the such like as we are in a rural location, I preserve, bottle can freeze and dehydrate surplus so we can eat it throughout the year, I buy in very little my monthly shopping bill is on average £15, so yes our food is stockpiled but not through excess shopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn, I think I am preaching to the converted and your way of living is something I aspire to. I would love to be self sufficient, and are working our way towards that goal! How far away from the nearest supermarket are you? Thanks for leaving a comment, it really makes my day.
      Fi

      Delete
  5. Brilliant post!!

    I do hate food waste and we literally NEVER throw food away. I make the next days meals out of any leftovers and if by chance there is still things left after that it is either frozen for future use or fed to the chickens who then obviously covert it into eggs for us.

    My heart sinks when I see some folk binning food on television programmes about waste, and the fact that farmers have to plough 'ugly' or 'wonky' vegetables back into the land because consumers demand the perfect carrot, or supermarkets have over ordered or simply changed their minds on the cabbages makes my blood boil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wholeheartedly agree, our poor farmers, they get next to nothing for all their hard work and don't get me started on how much water it takes to grow abundant veggies, wonky or not, they still taste the same! Thanks for leaving a comment
      Fi

      Delete