Thursday, 25 August 2016

Broccoli Salad

Hello Dear Reader,

I'll bet you don't hear those two words together very often-"Broccoli" and "Salad"but stay with me. If you love broccoli, as I do, when you read this little recipe you'll know it's going to taste great. Lovely hubby says he could eat this just by itself! It's that good. So, along with the broccoli there is bacon and we all know that any veggie from the brassica family are best friends with bacon, they just go together so well. Add the sweetness of sultanas, the soft saltiness of a grated mature cheese and a simple tangy-sweet mayo dressing and you have just made heaven on a plate.

I have made this recipe twice so far and when I went to make it the second time, I was out of sunflower seeds, so I replaced it with toasted macadamias, oh my, it took this already divine little salad to another level. So substitute away, I say. I have tweaked this recipe a little (I have steamed the broccoli and reduced the sugar in the dressing) but the original recipe comes from Mels Kitchen Cafe.

Ingredients for Broccoli Salad-from top left
Dressing-2 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar-put into a screw top jar and shake, shake, shake
Salad-
1/2 cup grated mature cheese, 1/2 a small red onion finely sliced, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or toasted macadamias, 1/2 cup sultanas,  4 slices bacon-fried golden and cut into chunky pieces and 450 grams broccoli-steamed for 1 minute and then put quickly
into iced water and then drained well



Steam Broccoli for 1 minute, then plunge into iced water and then drain

Drain Broccoli on a clean, lint free tea towel
Into a large bowl combine cooked and drained broccoli, grated cheese, finely sliced onion, sunflower seeds or toasted macadamias, sultanas and bacon

Pour over dressing

And toss really well. If time allows, let salad sit in the fridge for 2 hours and then give the salad another really good toss. Transfer to a clean serving bowl

Eat by itself or like we did, served with slow cooked BBQ pork chops and apple, fennel and chilli sauce


So, tell me, what is the best salad you have made/tasted?

4 comments:

  1. I love Broccoli Salad, Fiona! Double yum! I make a salad with raw broccoli which has roasted pumpkin in it. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have Fijian friends who make a lovely Broccoli salad. They would cut Broccoli into extremely small florets, place in a colander and poor over and drain boiling water from a kettle, add finely sliced onions and anything else you like like celery, finely diced fresh tomato and crab meat, mixed with a dressing made with coconut milk and chilli. It was very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love broccoli so I'm going to have to try this.

    Our favourites are lebanese taboulé and fattoush in the summer with tomatoes from the garden and creamy coleslaw in the winter.

    Tomorrow we are going to make Sushi and I'm trying a new cabbage salad to go with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful ideas! Will try the salad but my family eats broccolli only under duress.
    I have tried your shower eating method No 1 and it works fantastically. All is clean and and no scratches.
    I have already told 2 other mums about it.
    thanks
    irene

    ReplyDelete