Thursday, 18 August 2016

Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup

Hello Dear Reader,


When I roast a chicken, I always keep the carcass and pop it in the slow cooker over night to make some tasty chicken stock. It is tasty, as there is usually some roast meat still hanging to the bones and I add a little of what ever kind of gravy or sauce I make to the slow cooker as well.

In this instance, I added about 1/4 a cup of left over mandarin sauce, along with the left over spring onions. In the morning I strain the stock into a saucepan and pick over the carcass to remove every last shred of meat and add this to the stock in the saucepan. This is then the base to what ever kind of chicken soup you like to make. On this occasion I made a good, old fashioned, Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup as the mandarin sauce had a kind of asian lilt to it and I thought it would go well.

Ingredients for Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup-one litre of chicken stock, 4 spring onions, 4 eggs, 2 can creamed corn and a good knob of ginger
Slice and separate spring onions into white and green parts
Finely slice the ginger
Add white of spring onions and ginger to chicken stock
Add two cans of creamed corn and stir to combine, bring to a gentle boil
Beat eggs until frothy and then pour slowly over the back of a fork into the hot soup. Move the fork in a backward and forward motion while pouring the eggs in a slow, gentle stream
Heat through on a gentle heat until eggs have cooked through
Garnish with the green part of the spring onion. I love it served with fresh grainy bread


You can make this more substantial by adding a couple of chicken thigh fillets and gently poaching them in the strained chicken stock, before adding the creamed corn and beaten eggs. When they are cooked, just fish them out, slice finely and add back in.


So, over to you, Dear Reader, how do you make a humble chicken S-T-R-E-T-C-H to another meal?

2 comments:

  1. What a thrifty, yummy recipe.
    I wanted to let you know I made your beef and prune tagine a couple of nights ago, and it was YUM! I will be making that one again next winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always boil the chicken carcass top. Always makes a tasty base for soup with rice added and thickened with egg and lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete