Tuesday, 2 August 2016

Home made toothpaste and toothpowder



Hello Dear Reader,

Did you know that July was "Plastic free July"? I was aware, because of posts by Morag from "Our Permaculture Life" and "Erin from "The Rogue Ginger".  Along with lots and lots of (way too many) other household items that are made of plastic and end up in landfill, are toothpaste tubes and toothbrushes. Did you know that 1 toothbrush can take up to 1000 years to breakdown! Holy cow! What are we doing?

So, starting last month, I have decided to try and find and use an alternative to plastic for one item per month, slowly building up over time to try and detox the plastic in our lives. I decided to start with toothpaste and toothbrushes as it is a small step and isn't too much of a drastic change. I'm still brushing my teeth, just using something different. The plastic containers that the Activated Charcoal, the Bentonite clay, the Peppermint Essence (I was advised at the time, from the salesperson at our local health food shop, not to use Peppermint oil, I have, however used Orange and Clove bud oil in the toothpowder, trusting Erin's judgement) and the Coconut oil are in, are recyclable. Of course the other reason for trying a change of toothpaste is the amount of chemicals that are in most toothpastes.

So, I ordered us two Bamboo toothbrushes with charcoal infused bristles from Biome and have made two varieties of toothpaste/toothpowder. The first one I tried was the toothpaste from Morag at "Our Permaculture Life" I found it good, and your teeth feel really smooth and clean from the Bentonite Clay. It is the most amazing glossy black colour from the charcoal and the coconut oil.

Above are the ingredients for homemade toothpaste. 
The huge 5 litres of Coconut oil was bought by my late Father in law, he could never buy anything in a small size and I am still trying to get through it!

After a bit of experimenting,  I prefer the toothpowder from Erin at "The Rogue Ginger" as the toothpowder has such a delightful flavour and aroma and it is easier to control in the mouth.

Above are the ingredients for toothpowder


Only 4 ingredients, Bicarb Soda, Cinnamon, Orange oil and Clove Bud oil. The Bamboo toothbrush handle is compostable, I will just have to snip off the bristles. 
I simply wet the toothbrush and tap off the excess water then dip the head of the brush into the toothpowder. Then brush in the same manner as usual. It leaves your mouth feeling fresh and your teeth really clean.


So, what do you think? Have you changed something in you home to reduce your reliance on plastic? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment