Tuesday, 23 August 2016

My Moussaka

Hello Dear Reader,

Who remembers the line in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" "Moose Ca Ca", I do, every time I say Moussaka. Childish, isn't? Any way you say it, this is a delicious take on the original Moussaka. This recipe doesn't mess too much with the traditional flavour of the lamb mince but replaces the cheesy white sauce on top with finely sliced, par cooked, potato slices and then it is topped with grated, mature cheese. It makes for a more hearty meal, I think.

This is another one of those "torn out and kept" recipes from a Woolies"Fresh" free magazine from November 2015.

Ingredients for My Moussaka-from top right
1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and allspice, 1 cup grated cheese, 500grams lamb mince, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, 1 brown onion, 2 tablespoons each finely chopped oregano and parsley, 3 to 4 potatoes (approx 650 grams with skin on) 2 garlic cloves, 1 medium eggplant and a bottle of chunky tomato pasta sauce (any brand)I use what ever is on special
First, pre-heat oven to 200C.
Then peel potatoes, leave whole and put into a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes until tender. Drain and cool
Cube eggplant
Finely dice onion and grate garlic on a microplane
Saute the garlic, onion and eggplant, cook stirring occasionally for 10 minutes, remove from pan and set aside
Add mince to the pan and cook for 10 minutes, breaking up any lumps, until browned
Add, both tomato paste and tomato pasta sauce to cooked mince
Stir sauce and paste through and then add spices and oregano. Again, stir through
Now add back the onion/eggplant mixture and let simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly. Transfer mixture to a 8 cup capacity casserole dish
Slice cooled potato into 5 mm thickness and cover the top of the mince mixture 
Sprinkle with grated cheese and put into a preheated oven for 25 minutes
Or until cheese is melted and golden
Sprinkle with parsley and serve
Hearty and delicious Moussaka


Over to you, what is your favourite "meat and potato" meal?

3 comments:

  1. I am not overly fond of eggplant, but this looks and sounds so delicious. Thank you for sharing your recipe. Elaine in KY, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to say, it is a bit different from the greek moussaka I make but on the other hand you've made some great recipe changes and I would love to make your version. I'd just have to call it something else or my greek husband would turn up his nose!!! Australian mouss without the ca ca. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this recipe for supper tonight, and we found it quite enjoyable. I actually substituted the ground lamb for ground venison as that is what I had in the freezer and it made for a substantial meal. Thanks for sharing. Elaine

    ReplyDelete