Friday, 5 August 2016

This weeks 5 frugal things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

How's your week been? I hope you had a lovely week and if you live in the Brisbane area, will, no doubt, be looking forward to the long weekend. It is EKKA time and even though we don't go to the EKKA, we love having the public holiday, for it. Redcliffe have the Monday off making it a much loved long weekend!

I feel I have been a bit slack in the frugal department, as we had last weekend away, celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary, even though it was saved and paid for, well before we went away. I am not much of a spender/shopper and it always feels weird to actually spend money!

This photo is of the two of us, after having our anniversary dinner, at home, on Monday night. I can't make up my mind whether I look exhausted or relaxed!


We still spent some money going out for dinner and buying sushi for lunches(Sushi is just about our most favourite non home made food) We get the sushi from Soul about Sushi when we go to Maleny and we just love it.


While I love being frugal and it is just the way I live, it is nice to have a lovely treat every now and then. I also feel that being frugal for 95% of the time enables us to splurge for the other 5%.

So this week 5 frugal things on a Friday are:

1. Saved and blitzed the fruit and veggie scraps for the worm farm. I love this system as a way of recycling fruit and veggie scraps that the worms turn into worm juice/black gold. After I blitz the scraps I fold them into a newspaper parcel and pop it into the worm farm. This system gives the worms a balanced diet and keeps the worm farm humming along nicely, not too wet and not too dry.



2. Rode to work two days, saving $$ in petrol and getting exercise to boot

3. Packed my lunch every day. We sit out side, in the sunshine, most days for our lunch break. I find I need that time outside to re-energise and be out of the air-conditioning for a while.


4. Made a Lime Cheesecake, to take to work, for our monthly morning tea. I had the biscuit crumb, eggs, strawberries, passionfruit and the lime juice (frozen) already in the house, so all I had to buy was two cans of ALDI condensed milk and voila, Lime Cheesecake


5. Made a big batch of my home made Muesli, I love it so much for my breakfast and is probably the main reason I get up in the morning. This is the oats, nuts and honey before it is baked in the oven until it is golden and delicious.


So, over to you, what did you get up to in the frugal living department this week?

8 comments:

  1. Fiona you post brought back childhood memories for me - I used to sit on the roof of the house to watch the Redcliffe show's fireworks. (I would be horrified if I saw a child on a roof top nowadays.) Enjoy your lovely long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri, how fantastic and what a great memory to have. It's funny how times have changed isn't? I can actually see the fireworks when the show is on ! There is something magical about them, I think. Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  2. Hi Fiona, Hope you enjoyed your lovely 'splurge' time and enjoyed celebrating your anniversary. You deserve it!! And wow, your cheesecake looks to die for! I bet your workmates love seeing what deliciousness you have whipped up for them each month!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, the cheesecake is wonderful and very easy to make, I am posting the recipe this week. Have a wonderful weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and week!
    I've been inspired by Wendy at My Abundant Life to start saving shower water this week, it takes a bit of effort, but it's surprising how much water can be saved. So that is my frugal achievement for the week.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, I love Wendy's blog too and it really is incredible how quickly a 9 litre bucket fills up with water from the shower isn't? I put this saved water mainly on two big fig trees we have in pots at the front of the house. I hope you have a lively weekend.
      Fi

      Delete
  4. Hi Fiona nice you enjoyed your break and I think the best bit about being frugal is being able to appreciate and enjoy treats without the stress or emptiness of bottomless spending. I love sushi too! My biggest saving this week was being brave and buying glasses from Spec Savers. It took ages for me to move from OPSM but I really needed 2 new pairs of glasses and just couldn't afford them from OPSM. So picked 2 pairs last night and all up with the special lenses I need I'm out of pocket $320 which is a big saving for me and I have a voucher to use for 50% prescription sunglasses within the next months. I'm travelling to India in November so having some glasses and prescription sunnies will make travel a lot more comfortable! Especially because I think India will be hectic at times. Your muesli looks yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina, oh I love that phrase " emptiness of bottomless spending" it's so true. Good on you for going to Spec Savers, hubby and I have been using them for a long time and have always been happy with their service and quality. What is taking you to India? Holiday? Yoga retreat? The amazing food? Have a wonderful time and have a lovely weekend.
      a Fi

      Delete