Wednesday, 17 August 2016

What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear Reader,

We had a few "leftover" meals this past week, Hubby always says, no one can re-heat, like I can. As long as the food has been looked after all the way along, re-heating food, is more than fine and having leftovers in the house enables me to have a night off cooking. One of my favourite blogs is Frugal Queen and she calls leftovers "Ding Cuisine" She often makes a traditional Sunday Roast lunch then puts leftovers away for another dinner and lunches.

 It's funny/strange, but my late Father in law would not eat leftovers, I still can't get my head around that fact! Why wouldn't you eat perfectly good food if it is available and it meant no wasted food? I think I have told you about the huge amount of food that my In Laws used to hoard, it was like they both had done without through their lives, which wasn't the case, so for them not to eat leftovers always baffled me.

I have also written about food waste and I know that it is a topic that everyone is well aware of. Rhonda from Down to Earth Blog posted a link last Friday called Hughs war on waste. Even though it is filmed in Britain, I think we can relate to the basic message. Food waste has got to stop.

What we bought
Lovely Hubby and I both forgot to take a photo of the groceries as we were unpacking them so I had to haul everything out again later that night. I had already unpacked the toilet paper and the plain flour and used some of the butter in a recipe. As we only needed some lamb mince, this week, Lovely Hubby bought it from Coles instead of our normal butcher
What we spent
ALDI-$73.42

Woolworths-$64.96

Coles-$19.93

Total-$158.31

What we ate  
Wednesday-we finished this leftover Curried Coconut Pumpkin Soup from Monday night
Thursday-It was Pizza Night as well as little Milly's birthday so we had everyone around for Pizza. 
We had vouchers to use, as usual, and we had a plate of Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies for the "Birthday Cake"
Little Milly about to blow out her "3" birthday candle
Friday-leftover Duck and beansprout with noodles from Lovely Hubby's 50th Birthday on 
Tuesday night. We always take extra care of any food leftover, in both storing and re-heating, so it is safe to eat
Saturday-Roast Chicken with Mandarin Sauce, Roast Potato, Pumpkin and steamed Snow Peas
Sunday-My version of Moussaka, recipe coming soon 

Monday-Tempura Whiting, Steamed Basmati Rice and English Spinach

Chickpea and Chorizo Pot Pies with roast pumpkin and steamed broccolini. I had a packet of Chorizo that I had frozen from when I made Feijoada.

So, that was the eats at out house this week, some leftovers and some, new to me, recipes. What was for dinner at your house this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment