Monday, 3 October 2016

Bentonite Clay toothpaste

Help Dear Reader,


I have been happily using this homemade toothpowder for two months now but I really wanted to see if there was a recipe out there for a toothpaste that didn't involve coconut oil. I did make a batch of toothpaste with coconut oil and activated charcoal in, but I found I didn't like the mouthfeel of the oil (or the messy sink caused by the black charcoal). I had already purchased a bottle of Australian Bentonite Clay for this purpose so I thought that was a good starting point.

I did a bit of research and found a product, online, that I have tried to emulate, minus one ingredient-Xylitol, I just couldn't do it, even with the research showing it was good for the mouth/teeth acid balance, to me it is still a messed with, man made product, albeit naturally derived, so I decided not to include it. I am so used to a non-sweet tooth powder now anyway so it didn't worry me in the slightest.

Ingredients for Bentonite Clay Toothpaste, from left-2 tablespoons Bentonite Clay, 3 tablespoon filtered water, 4 drops tea tree essential oil, 15 drops peppermint essential oil, and a pinch of salt
Place Bentonite Clay in a non-metallic bowl
Add filtered water and mix well to incorporate clay. It takes a bit of mixing , just go slowly and make sure it is mixed thoroughly
Add 4 drops tea tree essential oil and mix well
Add 15 drops peppermint essential oil and mix well
Finally add the pinch of salt and, again, mix well
Pour/scrap into a small glass jar and seal. This delightful paste will thicken on standing, also the flavour will intensify and mingle

This quantity made a small batch, however,  if you have more people in your family, just double or even triple the recipe. I find it so lovely and fresh and your teeth feel so smooth with the gentle abrasive action of the clay. 


So, tell me, Dear Reader, have you dabbled in an alternative toothpaste or toothpowder? What is your favourite flavour?

1 comment:

  1. Being diabetic I use xylitol regularly, apparently it's been used in Japan for many years now as the preferred sweetener with out any negative results. Anyway an alternative could be to add a few drops of liquid Stevie or a very small amount of stevia powder. Too much will make it taste bitter. Just make sure it's from the health food store and is 100% The stuff in the supermarket has added stuff.

    ReplyDelete