Thursday, 6 October 2016

Melt and Mix Chocolate Slab Cake

Hello Dear Reader,


This past long weekend, saw me in the kitchen quite a lot, and that was just fine with me, I had very few distractions as the boys were away on a fishing competition and the house was lovely and quiet. I found this recipe by default, as I was on another blog, for a sewing matter, and there was this great little recipe.

I have never cooked a cake in the same dish that it is served from before, and I thought, what a great idea. I have adapted the original recipe by reducing the amount of butter and sugar as I felt it was a little too much of both. The end result reminds me very much of my Mums classic, old school, chocolate cake, simple and delicious.

In hindsight I really should have greased AND lined the baking dish as the cake was a bit "stuck" but it was still delicious. I don't normally ice cakes but it looks so lovely in the white dish, I couldn't resist finishing it off with chocolate icing.

Ingredients for Melt and Mix Chocolate Slab Cake, clockwise from top right
2 cups SR flour, 1 Tablespoon vinegar, 1 teaspoon bicarb, 1 cup milk, 225 grams butter, 1 tablespoon vanilla paste, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoon Cacao, 1 1/2 cups white sugar and
2 eggs and 1 cup water (not pictured)
In a large saucepan, on medium heat, add the butter, water and cacao
Mix until butter has melted and all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside to cool
In a jug, mix the milk, eggs, vanilla, bicarb and vinegar together
To the cooled, melted butter and cacao mixture, add the flour, sugar and salt
And mix well
Now add the milk, eggs, vanilla, bicarb and vinegar mixture and mix well to incorporate
All ingredients incorporated well
Pour into prepared baking dish. 
Prepare dish by both greasing AND lining it with baking paper, then there will be no tears from a "stuck" cake
Cook at 180 C to 200 C (depending how "hot" your oven is) for 30 to 40 minutes (mine should have come out at 30 minutes, it's a bit too cooked) Let cool before icing

For the Icing
While cake is cooling, make the icing.
 80 grams butter, softened, 1 tablespoon Cacao and 1 1/2 cups of icing sugar and 1 to 2 teaspoons of boiling water
To a bowl, add the icing sugar, cacao and softened butter. 
Using a fork, work the butter into the icing sugar and the cacao
Add 1 teaspoon of boiling water and mix well, add another, if needed, to get the right consistency

Simple, moist and delicious

So, tell me, what do you like to do with your time, when it's just you and your home?

3 comments:

  1. Lovely chocolate cake. I've never been hooked on baking, though once I get out the ingredients, it's not so bad. My specialty is salads, so that's what I spend time on for a meal, or offer to take to share at a friend's or a potluck.
    I enjoy a bit of tidying and organizing, keeping my paperwork up to date, writing out a few cards to friends and making holiday greeting cards for my grandkids. My big hobbies are sewing and quilting, wjth some reading and crossword puzzles every so often.
    My quiet and tidy home, my living room with backyard view, my sewing room, and my patio and plantings feel like a sweet haven to me.
    Thanks for your nice photos and description of making a nice treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you Nigella Lawson in disguise? Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some truly wonderful work on behalf of the owner of this internet site , perfectly great articles . wedding cakes montgomery al

    ReplyDelete