Thursday, 17 November 2016

Amazing Slow Cooked, Beef Roast

Hello Dear Reader,

I found this fantastic recipe over at Mels Kitchen Cafe and knew I had to try it. I just love slow cooked meat, it makes a cheaper cut of meat the hero and I like to eat this type of meat over a steak any day of the week. In saying that I really don't eat a big portion of meat, preferring to fill my plate with more veggies and carbs, however I still enjoy the small amount I eat.

As you probably know by now I love my slow cooker and I think it is the most used of all the electrical kitchen appliances I have. I have bought one for my daughter and my niece too, as I believe they are as asset to have in your kitchen. This is just another recipe, proving, yet again, that I LOVE my slow cooker.

Ingredients for Amazing Slow Cooked, Beef Roast, from top right-
2 kg beef shin or chuck, 6 large carrots, 2 brown onions, 3 garlic cloves, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 4 cups beef stock (I made mine from Massel Beef Stock Cubes) 250 grams tomato passata, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Please disregard the can of tomatoes, I got carried away and put them in there by mistake. I also forgot to add a small handful of fresh Thyme and a bay leaf to the photo, sorry
Peel and roughly slice the onions and squash the garlic cloves, add to the bottom of the slow cooker bowl
Brown the meat on all sides and add to the slow cooker bowl 
To the same frypan that you browned the meat in, add the tomato passata, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, allspice, bay leave, fresh Thyme and salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer and then pour over the browned meat, onion and garlic
Peel and cut the carrots into large chunks
Arrange the carrots around the beef roast, don't be worried that they are not submerged in the gorgeous broth, as it cooks down, they will be. Cook on lowest setting for up to 12 hours
I know it's not the prettiest of dinners, but oh my, it is so delicious. Remove the meat and the carrots and keep warm while you make the gravy. Strain the cooking liquid into a big jug and get ready to make the gravy. When serving the meat, I just forked it into smaller chunks, it is impossible to slice, as it is so tender

For the Gravy

Melt 120 grams of butter in a large saucepan
Add 1/2 a cup of plain flour to the melted butter and whisk well to incorporate, let the flour cook out for 1 minute, whisking all the time, now gradually add 4 cups of the warm cooking liquid to the roux, again, whisking the whole time
Thick and gorgeous Gravy



This is probably be the last of this type of meal for a while, its just getting too hot!

So, tell me, what are you cooking more of, now that the seasons have well and truly changed?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds and looks great, will definitely try this one, my son loves meat. Thanks for sharing. Guida

    ReplyDelete