Saturday, 5 November 2016

Our Favourite Pumpkin Soup

Hello Dear Reader,

This may be the last soup we have for a while as I expect the weather to heat up any day now. We have been really lucky to have had a beautiful start to our Spring season, with cool mornings and evenings. I served this soup on one such cooler evening and it just hit the spot. It is such a tasty pumpkin soup with the addition of other veggies and herbs, finished off with fried sage leaves and of course, sour cream.

Ingredients for Our Favourite Pumpkin Soup-from top
4 cups chicken stock plus 2 cups water, 2 kg pumpkin, peeled and chopped, 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped, 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped, 2 red onions, roughly chopped, 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, and 3 cloves, grated on a microplane
Roughly chop veggies
Add veggies to a large saucepan, on medium heat, with a good glug of oil, strip rosemary leaves and add to saucepan. Sauté, for 10 minutes, on medium heat, giving it a good stir every now
Then add the roughly chopped pumpkin and sauté for a further 5 minutes
Now add chicken stock and water 
Bring to a gentle boil and simmer until veggies are cooked through
Meanwhile fry sage leaves, in a little oil, until dark green and crisp, blot on some paper towel. Reserve for garnish
When veggies are soft, blitz until soup is smooth and silky. Serve with fried sage leaves and sour cream
 
What is your favourite pumpkin soup recipe? I would love to hear.

3 comments:

  1. I've never thought to put Rosemary in pumpkin soup, I must give that a try next time.
    I've just planted some sage, it's a herb I've never grown or used much before, so this gives me an idea of one of the uses for it. I hope to try it as a sage and onion stuffing for chicken too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our favourite is Gypsy soup but the one I make most often because it is the easiest (and very tasty) is Raymond Blanc's mother's Broccoli soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a similar one with the addition of either sweet potatoes or white potatoes and a little bit of butter. I add parsley as a herb but shall try rosemary. Thanks for so many lovely recipes. I use your curried mince one now.

    ReplyDelete