Saturday, 17 December 2016

On the fifth day of Christmas, I made Christmas Rocky Road

Hello Dear Reader,


I have been a long time fan of Rocky Road, ever since buying it at the yearly, One Mile State School Fate, when I was about 8. I adore all those tasty morsels encased in dreamy chocolate, what's not to love. Now, my Mum was a great cook, but she had never made this kind of sweet for us. Mum always gave us some money to spend on the baking stalls at the fate, I think it may have been 20 or 30 cents and I would ponder on what to spend it on. Coconut Ice? Toasted Coconut Marshmallows? Teeth Breaking Toffee? Peanut Brittle? In the end the Rocky Road would always win and I would go away with a little brown paper bag of carefully cut squares. As I grew up, my tastes changed, as most peoples do, and I no longer like cherries, but I do still tolerate them in this divine slice.

I use the ALDI brand shortbread biscuits, organic chocolate and butter and the Coles own brand marshmallows, all of which are a lot cheaper than other name brands and are just as good, if not better. I find that you can create a quality baking using own brand products.

If you like milk chocolate more than dark just adjust the ratio or go all milk or all dark, what ever takes your fancy.

Ingredients for Christmas Rocky Road, clockwise from top right-
200 grams of dark chocolate and 100 grams of milk chocolate, snapped into squares, 125 grams pink and white marshmallows, snipped into fours, 150 gram place cherries, 200 grams own brand shortbread biscuits, 150 gram brazil nuts, 175 gram butter and 60 mls golden syrup
In a large saucepan melt together the chocolate, butter and golden syrup
Put the Brazil nuts in a freezer bag and bash them about with a rolling pin until you have different size nutty bits
Give the shortbreads the same treatment, only don't whack so hard, they are more crumbly than the nuts, go gently
Melted chocolate mixture ready for the bits and bobs
Now, as you see, I didn't use a big enough saucepan, lesson learnt. I had to tip everything into the bowl below
Give everything a really good mix
Until chocolate covers everything
Pour and scrape into a 30cm x 21cm foil tin and pop into the fridge for a couple of hours to firm up


Turn out and cut up into squarish pieces and store in a container in the fridge with a layer of baking paper in-between layers

 Over to you, what did you/do you always buy at a school fate?

3 comments:

  1. I am a complete sucker for rocky road. Loved it as a kid, love it now. Yours looks perfect! Sure beats buying it ready made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. always the toffees in patty pans with 100s and 1000s on top or bakers toast. Probably because they were things mum never made, I always hated the sticky horrible fingers and face and the way the paper always stuck to the toffee, yet still I went back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, toffees too! I used to love how long they lasted!

    ReplyDelete