Sunday, 18 December 2016

On the sixth day of Christmas, I made Christmas Cinnamon Biscuits

Hello Dear Reader,


A while ago (read, nearly 3 years) I bought, possibly the largest jar of Cinnamon in the world, from Costco, when they first opened. Lovely hubby wanted to go and join up so he could take advantage of discounted fuel. We only went twice as we found they were no cheaper than ALDI and I found it all too overwhelming. Also the Woolworths petrol station just down the road from Costco matched their fuel prices, typical! Any way back to that giant jar of Cinnamon. I have steadily been making my way through it and at this stage this is what it looks like


I will never buy such a large jar of any kind of spice again, I am sure the Cinnamon has gone past its "best by" date, however I don't know that date, as I took the Cinnamon out of the plastic jar as soon as I got home and have stored it in glass. I have been using Cinnamon at any given opportunity to use this baby up, almost there. Don't get me wrong, I adore Cinnamon and if there was ever a spice that was best friends with Christmas, its Cinnamon. I love these simple little spice biscuits, just perfect with a cuppa. They are light and crunchy with the warm spice both in the biscuit itself and a light coating on the outside in the form of Cinnamon Sugar.

To make the cinnamon sugar, the ratio I use, is 1/2 cup castor sugar to 2 tablespoon Cinnamon. Simple. Your kitchen will smell amazing!

Ingredients for Christmas Cinnamon Biscuits, clockwise from top right-
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 egg, 115 grams butter, 1 cup white sugar and 1 1/2 cups plain flour
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and the sugar together, then add the egg
Keep mixing until the "curdled" stage has passed and you have a velvety smooth mixture
In a bowl add all the dry ingredients 
And whisk until combined
Tip the combined flour mixture into the creamed butter/sugar mixture and mix until well incorporated. Pop this mixture in the fridge for an hour or so to firm up

Roll small balls of biscuit dough and then roll them in the Cinnamon Sugar
Bake in a preheated 150 C oven for 15 to 18 minutes, keeping in mind that every oven is different, you want a pale blonde colour, don't let them brown. This mixture made 36 beautiful biscuits

Have you ever bought a giant "something" from Costco that you regretted?

5 comments:

  1. They look lovely!!
    I think I will try a batch of those myself before Christmas comes.
    Are you eating all of these goodies yourself? Or are they gifts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl,
    So far, the men in my life have been having a good time with all the baking. And of course I have been having a bit of everything. I am making and taking a Guinness gingerbread to work on Wednesday and the Christmas pavlova I have planned is also going to work on Friday, for part of our Christmas lunch. Over the course of a year I do take a lot of baking to work, and as the boys are very protective of my cooking, always ask " is that for us" sometimes they are disappointed.
    Have a great Sunday
    Fi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those biscuits look really good, I bought lots of spice (african rub) a few years back not thinking that they had a used by date, anyway when it arrived (bought online) it did not taste at all like the one I had been given, I was quite cross with myself. In the end I had to throw most of it away, as it wasn't nice at all. Now I only buy a spice when I run out, not waste. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just an update, I wanted to let you know I made these yesterday, and they were absolutely lovely!
    Simple, crisp, sweet and morish...I think I will be adding these to the annual Christmas baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wonderful Cheryl! In a world of over the top biscuits, they are simple yet delicious. Have a great day.
    Fi

    ReplyDelete