Saturday, 24 December 2016

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas, I made Christmas Pavlova

Hello Dear Reader,


Last Christmas was the first time I made this beautiful looking, wreath shaped, Pavlova. I saw the idea over at "The Still Room" blog and thought what a fantastically simple idea that instantly transforms an already fabulous dessert into a Christmas celebration. It is my normal pavlova recipe just formed into a circular wreath.

I have a few tips for you for making the perfect pav, firstly your eggs must be room temperature, make sure your bowl and whisk are spotlessly clean, add the sugar one spoon at a time, don't hurry it, start your oven out at 180 C and once you put the pav in the oven, immediately turn heat down to
150 C and lastly, once your pav is finished cooking, turn off oven and leave pav in the oven overnight. I say overnight as I always seem to make this at night after I have finished cooking dinner, but, of course, it doesn't matter what time of day you cook it, as long as you leave it in the oven for 8 to 10 hours to completely dry. That is the secret to having an incredibly crispy shell and a soft squidgy belly. (The pav, not yours)

Ingredients for Christmas Pavlova (or any time of year, for that matter)
 clockwise from bottom left
4 egg whites, 1 teaspoon white vinegar, 2 teaspoons cornflour, 250 grams caster sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
Whisk the egg white until soft peaks form, whisk in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, take your time and make sure each tablespoon is dissolved before adding the next. Once all the sugar has been added, add the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla to the meringue mixture
And gently but thoroughly combine
Trace a circle on a sheet of silicon baking paper (I use a dinner plate as a template) Then scoop large spoonfuls of pav mixture around the circle to form a wreath. Don't smooth it out, as all those random shapes/pointy bits make for a crispier pavlova. Put into a 180 C oven and immediately turn heat down to 150 C, bake pav for about 30 to 35 minutes, you don't want it to colour too much. When it is finished baking, don't open the oven door and let it cool and dry for up to 10 hours or overnight

The pavlova will be light as air and quite fragile, so be careful with it if you have to transport it. To decorate, I have used Blackberries, Raspberries and Mint leaves

This is, by far, my most favourite dessert to make and eat. It always amazes me that just a few egg whites and sugar can create something so absolutely divine. 

So, tell me, Dear Reader, what is your, all time, hands down, favourite dessert?

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful is that!! I've never seen anything like it, a show stopper indeed!
    Wishing you and your family a very Happy Christmas, and I look forward to more of your inspiring recipes next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I nearly always do a pav for Christmas so I will attempt a wreath this year. My husband can't understand why people would ruin a good pay by putting fruit on it ha ha. So I'll do half with fruit and half with chocolate flake - won't look as good as yours though! I love the use of mint leaves. I don't have raspberries so I'll try pomegranate seeds, blueberries and baby mint leaves (at least the mint leaves are from the garden). We have 10 people for lunch so I've also made Semifreddo Al Biscotto which I love and is super easy. Really enjoying all your Christmas recipes. Have a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very visually appealing indeed. My DW pops a spoon in the top of the oven door to let it cool slowly - same principle I guess as leaving it in over night. DW makes her pav' with raw castor sugar to give it a golden hue and an ever-so-slight caramel flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it beautiful? What a fabulous idea. I was just about to make a pav, just my normal one. But now I will make it wreath shaped. Wishing you a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete