Monday, 9 January 2017

Chickpea, Corn and Zucchini Fritters

Hello Dear Reader,

This year, I will be making more vegetarian meals, and aim to have one vegetarian meal a week. So with the fish lovely hubby and son catches, we should only have meat 3 to 4 times a week. I am hoping this will make a difference to our shopping budget, as it has been steadily climbing up and I am not happy with it. I know I make most things from scratch, so that should make a difference to the budget but we also eat a lot of fresh fruit and veg and I know that that pushes the price up. We have a bumper crop of Red Paw Paws coming on, so hopefully that will make a difference to, at least, to what we pay for fruit.

I always have chickpeas ready to go in the freezer, so they will be the base for lots of vegetarian meals and ALDI always stock a wide range of pulses, so they will also be on our shopping list regularly. I will be searching my recipe books and torn out recipes from magazines to come up with some great vegetarian recipes that we all will enjoy. This is a recipe that I have had for ages and just hadn't gotten around to making it, so I gave it a go and it's a winner. Easy, filling and delicious.

Ingredients for Chickpea, Corn and Zucchini Fritters, clockwise from top right-
1/2 cup milk, 250 grams frozen corn kernels, 3 spring onions, thinly sliced, a small handful of mint, chopped, 1 medium zucchini, grated, 3/4 cup SR flour, 400 gram can of Chickpeas, drained, rinsed and blitzed in a food processor for a few seconds to roughly chop, 2 eggs, salt and pepper to taste
In a jug, whisk the eggs and the milk together
Add the flour to a large bowl
Whisk in the egg/milk mixture
Now, add all other ingredients 
And mix well to combine
Add a small amount of oil to a heavy based, non stick fry pan and heat to medium. Add 1/4 cup of mixture to the hot pan and spread slightly with a spatula. 
Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes a side or until golden brown. Set aside and cover with some foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture.
Beaut little golden fritters

Over to you, what is your, go to, vegetarian recipe, that everyone loves?

2 comments:

  1. Those fritters look delicious, Fiona. I love vegetarian meals, my preferred choice always. Last night, we had a vegetarian lasagna with lots of zucchini from the garden. Yum! It's my favourite vegetarian meal because I can put in whatever veggies I like. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look really good. We have at least 2 vegetarian meals a week now. The other day I made a baked vegetable quiche and it's so nice cold for lunch the next day. Tonight I'm going to do mushrooms with pasta. I keep meaning to say to you that Asian greens are so easy to grow here (I'm just up the Coast). I know you don't have a lot of room but they take up less space than lettuce. We had fish last night and I stir fried home grown pak choi, green beans, snake beans and 4 snow peas (I'm amazed I can grow them in this heat) in a bit of macadamia oil, sea same oil with chilli and garlic.

    ReplyDelete