Tuesday, 24 January 2017

Roasted Veggie Pasta (perfect for hot and humid weather, when you don't feel like cooking)

Hello Dear Reader,

Well, Summer is sweltering down on us at the moment and the last thing I feel like doing is making the kitchen even hotter. I love our home, however it was not designed for our climate. We built it about 14 years ago when the "no eaves trend" was in. What were we thinking? In our next home I will have huge eaves to shelter our windows and doors from the sun, with the "no eaves"thing the sun gets right into every room on the western side of the house, making for a very hot house. We did have insulation put into the ceiling and it has made a difference but that is only a small part of the problem. I know I keep dreaming of our next home and I really should be satisfied with this lovely home, but there are so many things that have changed in my life and this style of home no longer reflects who I am. I want small, self sufficient, off grid, practical and less cleaning!

I am really off topic, aren't I? Now on with todays fantastic little dish.

I thought of this dish when I looked in the fridge to see what was left in the veggie draw last Sunday. My Mother in law went into hospital last Monday (for her usual treatment) and as such, I really didn't plan the dinners for last Monday and Tuesday, I had a vague plan of Mushroom Pasta of some sort for Monday and a really relaxed dinner of Baked Beans and a Baked Potato for Tuesday, we think of this week, without my Mother in law, like respite and we can be more relaxed with dinners. Anyway, when I looked in the veggie draw there was also a wedge of pumpkin left and because it was a very hot and humid day I didn't want to be stirring anything on the stove. So thats how this dish came about. Gosh I prattle, don't I?

Ingredients for Roasted Veggie Pasta, clockwise from top right-
300 grams of fettuccini, a good wedge of pumpkin, 1/2 a red onion, a good handful of sage, 500 grams of mushrooms, 3 to 4 garlic cloves, not peeled (not pictured) 300 mls of cream and two spring onions

Chop veggies into similar sizes, quarter onion and scatter over sage leaves and garlic cloves. Drizzle over a little oil and a good grind of salt and pepper

Pop into a hot oven and roast for about 20 to 25 minutes, remove from oven

Remove papery skins from garlic and squish the caramelised garlic

Add roasted veggies and caramelised garlic to a hot pan, pour over cream

Stir gently and bring to a gentle boil

Pour over cooked and drained pasta

And toss through sauce. Chop spring onions finely and scatter over the top

And give the whole dish another good but gentle stir

Grate over parmesan and enjoy. 


I have been cooking pasta a little differently lately. I bring a big pot of water to the boil, put in a little salt and oil, put in the pasta and stir to submerge. Keep stirring gently until the pasta is no longer sticking to itself. Put the lid on and turn off the heat and remove from the hot plate completely. There is no need to keep the pasta boiling to achieve a cooked pasta. I like my pasta on the softer side (I know, no class what so ever) and not al dente, so this way of cooking pasta gives you a much softer pasta. But you cook it the way you like it. I keep the pasta in the hot water for about 10 minutes and it is always perfect. Then just drain in the usual manner. 

So, tell me, what else do you do with roast veggies and how do you cook your pasta?

No comments:

Post a Comment