Saturday, 28 January 2017

Spinach and Ricotta Pie

Hello Dear Reader,

I have been making more meat free meals lately and this is another really tasty dish where you do not miss the meat element. It is hearty and really delicious, it makes a really robust pie and is super easy to make. All big ticks in my kitchen. Easy-tick, filling-tick, delicious-tick!

I just buy the frozen spinach from ALDI and until now it was always sold in the cardboard box, boo to ALDI for now selling the frozen cubes of spinach in a plastic bag, BOO! As I don't do the shopping I will have to ask Lovely Hubby to look for another brand that is still sold in the cardboard box (recyclable) as I am trying to cut down the amount of single use plastics that are coming into our home.

But I digress. On with this fabulous little recipe.

Make a shortcrust pastry pie crust. I made mine in the thermomix using this recipe. I didn't use as much iced water as the recipe stipulated. I just kept adding a drop at a time until the pastry just came together.

Ingredients for Spinach and Ricotta filling, clockwise from top right
500 grams fresh ricotta, some freshly grated nutmeg, parmesan cheese, a 500 gram packet of frozen spinach, defrosted and moisture squeezed out, 5 eggs, salt and pepper to taste and 200 ml cream

In a bowl, whisk the eggs, then add the squeezed out spinach and whisk again

Now crumble in the ricotta and pour over cream

Give the mixture a gentle whisk to combine

Fill pie crust with spinach and ricotta mixture and grate over some parmesan cheese

Bake at 180 C for 35 to 45 minutes, as always every oven is different so start checking at 35 minutes. I like mine quite golden but it will be "set" long before this

Delicious hot or cold

A very big thank you to a lovely reader, Cheryl, who gave me some fantastic hints and tips for making no-fail, no-shrinking, shortcrust pastry, I would say they worked, wouldn't you?

What kind of pie do you like? Savoury or sweet?

One year ago

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Fiona. I'm so glad you tried my tips and they worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love pies like these and think I shall add this to my menu plan this week (which I should be writing up now but I am procrastinating!) as I reckon it would be lovely as leftovers for lunch too. Thanks for the recipe, Fiona. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete