Tuesday, 21 February 2017

Easy Hummingbird Cake

Hello Dear Reader,

I seem to only make a cake now, for our monthly morning tea, at work, which is probably just as well, as I simply don't need to eat cake every week ( or do I ). I had in my mind to make a Hummingbird Cake, but I wanted a super simple one that didn't take too much faffing around. So I went searching for such a recipe. I ended up combining two different recipes and it turned out just fantastic. 

For this cake, I already had the passionfruit (frozen in freezer) bananas, walnuts and the usual "cake" ingredients in the house, all I had to buy for this recipe was the can of crushed pineapple. It is dense and moist and just sweet enough, topped with a deliciously light and again, just sweet enough passionfruit cream cheese icing. YUM!

Ingredients for Easy Hummingbird Cake, clockwise from top right-
1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 2 eggs, 1/4 cup passionfruit pulp, 2 really ripe bananas, mashed, 150 gram butter, melted, 1 x 440gram can crushed pineapple, drained (reserve juice) and 1 3/4 cups SR flour

Grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin and preheat oven to 170 C

In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, mashed banana, drained pineapple, brown sugar, passionfruit and eggs

Give everything a really good mix

Now add the SR flour, cinnamon and walnuts

Again mix well

Pour and scrape into prepared cake tin and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cooked through

For the icing

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 250 grams of softened cream cheese, 50 grams softened butter, 100 grams icing sugar, 2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp and 1tablespoon reserved pineapple juice

Beat on low speed until smooth, set aside until needed (maybe in the fridge if it is really hot and humid)

When cake has cooled, spread icing over cake

And devour!

Over to you, do you mess around with recipes to make them suit you and your taste?

1 comment: