Thursday, 2 March 2017

Pumpkin, Chickpea and Coconut Curry

Hello Dear Reader,

I bought a spectacular pumpkin from the markets two Sundays ago, you know the ones, all bright orange and beautiful and sweet. I used some of it with a lamb roast and I knew I wanted to make a curry with some of it as well. As usual, I just typed in "Pumpkin Curry" into google and this is the recipe that caught my eye. It's an easy, super delicious vegetarian curry that also has the king of pulses in it to add lots of goodness and texture. I have fiddled with the original recipe, adding and subtracting a few ingredients and the final dish is just perfect in my eyes. I served it with steamed basmati rice, papadums, thick greek yoghurt and chutney. On the night I served it I had to go out, so I needed a simple and quick dish to cook that night, it didn't fail to meet these needs. Simple, quick and delicious! Just what a busy girl (or guy) needs.

Ingredients for Pumpkin, Chickpea and Coconut Curry, clockwise from top right-
1 can coconut milk, 1 can chopped tomatoes, 600 gram pumpkin, chopped into chunky pieces (about 3 cm cubes) a handful of coriander, chilli to taste, 1 small onion, finely chopped, 4 cm piece of ginger, grated on a microplane, 3 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane, 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or equivalent home cooked chickpeas) 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon turmeric and 2 teaspoons curry paste of choice

Add a splosh of oil to a heavy based frypan and heat to medium high, add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli. Sauté until starting to turn translucent

Now add the turmeric and mustard seeds, sauté until fragrant

Add the curry paste and cook out gently for a minute

Add the can of tomatoes and again cook out gently for a minute

Add the can of coconut milk and stir well, bring to a gentle simmer

Add the chickpeas and pumpkin and give everything a good stir 

Bring to a gently simmer and cook, with a lid on, for 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft and starting to break up

Sprinkle over coriander and serve with rice and the usual curry accompaniments. Easy, quick and delicious. I love vegetarian night!

What is your favourite way to serve pumpkin?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Kelly B, it was totally delicious and it is easy, what's not to love. Have a lovely weekend.
      Fi

      Delete