Thursday, 9 March 2017

Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters

Hello Dear Reader,

I have found another lovely little meat free recipe that is easy and delicious. It uses sweet potato and zucchini as the stars of the show with a little support from spring onions and coriander. These beaut fritters are held together by a batter of milk, eggs and SR flour (or half SR flour and half Chickpea flour, which is what I decided to do AFTER the photo was taken), it also has lots of spice in it, with 2 teaspoons each of Cumin and Coriander in it. You fry them just like any other fritter, in a medium hot pan with a little oil until golden brown, as they cook I just kept them warm in the oven until ready to serve. We had them over two nights, served with an Asian Salad, even after having them for two nights, there was some left over, which were eaten in a wrap with a tomato and olive salad, yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce and then toasted lightly in a fry pan, such an easy and delicious lunch.

Ingredients for Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters, clockwise from top right-
2 teaspoons each of ground cumin and coriander, 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander
(I grow perennial coriander) 6 to 8 spring onions, chopped, 700 grams sweet potato, grated, 400 grams zucchini, grated and squeezed of moisture, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup chickpea flour and 1/2 cup SR flour

Grate the Sweet Potato and set aside

Grate the zucchini, put into a colander and squeeze excess moisture from the zucchini


Add grated veggie, finely chopped coriander and spring onions to a bowl. In another bowl mix the flours, ground cumin and coriander, eggs and milk and whisk until smooth. Stir the veggie mix into the batter mix. Heat a heavy based frypan to medium and put a small amount of oil in to heat, when nice and hot, add 1/4 cup amounts of mixture per fritter, I fitted 3 fritters in the pan at one time. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Continue with remaining mixture. Pop the cooked fritters in a slow oven to keep warm.


I served ours with thick greek yoghurt and sweet chilli sauce. I also made this asian salad to go with it. The flavours of the salad really complimented the sweet and light fritters.

I think fritters, of any kind, make for an easy and frugal meal, what do you put in your fritters?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Fiona,
    I will try these delicious looking fritters but with an egg substitute. Isn't it wonderful to find a new place to shop , which also has cheaper prices!!! The supermarkets are so disappointing when it comes to price and variety.
    And thanks for the info about your use of a woolwash from Aldi. I bought it ( after I searched for it twice in the detergents section ) and my towels are no longer like cardboard stiff. I really do not like fabric softners at all-- they smell artificial.
    thanks

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fritters are something we make regularly for easy dinners here. Bacon and sweetcorn and corned beef fritters are our favourites. I love to eat them with chutney! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so delicious Fiona:) It's exactly the meal set that our family would enjoy. I'm so looking forward to the days when we can harvest zuchinni from the garden, to grate in with fritters, giving it a nice soft texture! I have yet to try fritters in wrap...it definitely sounds a good idea too:) I've recently tried making fish fritters - using tiny fishes like white bait/anchovy sort of fish...it taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Fiona, I only have to pick up some zucchini on they way home this afternoon, and I will have dinner sorted! :)

    BTW I use an old piece of muslin or an old T-Towel to squeeze out the excess moisture in zucchini, just lay the cloth out on the bench, grate straight onto the cloth, pick the cloth up so the contents are in the middle, and twist the tapered top, then squeeze the "ball" of zucchini with your hands,(over the sink of course LOL)... so much more liquid comes out this way. An Italian woman taught me this method many years ago, and it works a treat!

    ReplyDelete