Wednesday, 8 March 2017

What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear Reader,

The Sunrise, this morning

I have discovered a "new to me" place to shop for fruit, veggies and grocery items, on the Peninsula, through word of mouth.  I went there for a look on Saturday afternoon and jotted down the prices of items I would normally buy. It is a huge place, quite well run, with lots of bargains to be had. In saying that, you do need to really have a good look at what you are buying as some of the fruit was definitely past its best. They have buckets of produce out the front, either per kilo or per bucket, this is where you need to be careful. Of course the fruit showing at the top of the buckets looks okay but they hide the less than best fruit underneath. They also had big bags of capsicum, potatoes and  broccoli for excellent prices. I think what you need to do is, go in, see what is a good price and quality on that day and then make your menu up from there. The only item I bought that day was a wedge of Parmesan Cheese for $2.99, what a bargain. I normally pay $5.99 for the same quantity at Aldi.

I then went to the Sunday morning markets and compared the prices and quality of the fruit and veggies with what I had seen at the above place. There were some prices the same, some cheaper and the overall quality was about the same. Again, in saying that, yesterday morning, when I went to get a nectarine and a peach to make our breakfast, I noticed that the peaches had already started to go off rather badly. As I couldn't take them back, I cut them up, made a sugar syrup and made poached peaches. So there was no waste but it still upset me that they went off so quickly. Honestly, there was not a blemish on them on Sunday and they were firm to the touch but by Tuesday morning most of them had deteriorated, mostly on one side, weird!

Now for the positives. At the "new to me" fruit and veggie place I picked up
500 gram packet of Chia seed for $5.99
2 x Barilla pasta sauce for $1.49 each
A Red Paw Paw for $2.00 (which is just beautiful, really sweet)
Tomatoes at 2.49 a kg
A lovely big bunch of silverbeet for $2.99
Two huge bunches of Parsley for $1.99
A big bag of baby spinach for $2.99
A bucket of Kiwi fruit (15 in total) for $3.00 (all perfect so far)
A packet of Linguini for $1.49

I also priced their huge selection of nuts, pulses and legumes and they are fantastic prices so I will be buying that sort of thing from there, from now on.

I will still go to the Sunday morning markets, as I now buy Maleny Milk for the best, homemade, creamy and thick yoghurt, direct from the Maleny milk van (no middle man) the majority of fruit and veggies and meat from the meat van which supplies free range meat for quite a good price. It means shopping at more places but I think the overall quality is better than buying from the supermarkets. I have been very unhappy for a long time with the quality of the fruit and veg at the supermarkets.

So, this is what we have been up to on "What we bought, spent and ate" front-

What we bought


Shopping from ALDI and Woolworths

Shopping from the Markets
What we spent
ALDI-$53.00 (including extras bought on Saturday, not photographed-feta cheese, cottage cheese, coconut milk, white wine vinegar, strawberry jam, sunflower seeds)
Coles-$17.46 (including extra bought on Saturday, not photographed-Soy sauce, cocoquench, soy milk and wholemeal wraps)
Woolworths-$13.10 (pure cream and a snap lock container, not in photo)
Markets (combined)-$159.50

TOTAL-$243.06  Still too high, but once I get into the groove of shopping around, it should be less


What we ate


Wednesday-Spinach, Feta and Pumpkin Filo Pie with mashed potato


Thursday and Saturday-Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters with and Asian Salad


Friday-Pan fried Pearl Perch with Watercress, Avocado and Potato Salad


Sunday-Beef and veggie Ragu with Linguini



Monday and Tuesday-Slow Cooked Pork with Pickled Ginger and Spring onion, Steamed Basmati Rice and Choy Sum


So, my plan is to try and get my weekly food budget under $200, I know it can be done, I just need to shop around a bit more and be more savvy.

Over to you, do you shop around for the best buys?


2 comments:

  1. I'd love our grocery budget to be $200 a week too, Fiona, but it doesn't often come down to that. I keep thinking I need to make even more/grow even more here at home (things like yoghurt, bread) to shave even more off what we spend. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very gratifying finding new places to 'hunt and gather' - it must appeal to the ancient side of our brains.

    ReplyDelete