Sunday, 30 April 2017

How I Freeze Herbs to Prevent Waste

Hello Dear Reader,

I try and grow the herbs I use in cooking and at the moment I have Basil, Oregano, Garlic Chives, Parsley, Sage, Society Garlic, Mint and Marjoram, growing prolifically in my garden. However, when I see herbs at the supermarket, marked down to crazy prices, I snaffle them up and if I don't have a use for them straight away, I will freeze them down for later use. This is how I do it.

You will need a sharp knife and an empty ice cube tray and of course your herbs

For Dill, I gently tear off the woody stalk and gather the feathery tops together

Chop them finely

Fill the ice cube trays about 1/3 full with chopped herbs and just cover with water

Freeze for an hour or so

Pop herby ice cubes out of tray and put into a container or zip lock bag. Write on it what kind of herb it is and the date it was frozen. When needed, simply defrost a cube, in a little fine mesh strainer and voila, approximately, one tablespoon of chopped herbs. 

You will have herbs at your fingertips, you will save money AND there is no waste, Sweet!

What do you do to prevent waste in your home?

2 comments:

  1. Whenever I open a tin of coconut milk however have some leftover I freeze it. I measure it in quarter cup lots, pour into a muffin tin, freeze and next day pop them out and wrap individually. When needed I either microwave to defrost or take them out the day before. Also as they're in quarter cup lots I grab how many the recipe calls for.

    Have a wonderful Sunday.

    Kylie

    ReplyDelete