Thursday, 27 April 2017

Water Kefir

Hello Dear Reader,

I have been reading about water and milk kefir for ages now and really wanted to give it a go. Kefir is a form of probiotics that are very good for gut health. Our digestions system get hammered, by maybe not eating perfectly, all of the time. I do try, but lately I have been reaching for quick carbs that really aren't doing me any favours. In a bid to improve my gut health, to curb my desire for carbs and to maybe lose just a couple of kilo, I ordered a sachet of water kefir on line from"Nourish Me Organics" and have started a little, water kefir, production line in my kitchen. I went with water kefir instead of milk kefir, as I am really not a huge fan of milk but I do eat yoghurt and cheese so I didn't want more dairy in my diet.

The fermentation makes the water bubbly and fizzy, like soda water, but with tiny bubbles. I have flavoured one batch with mint and ginger but left the other one plain to see what I prefer. You can "flavour" the water keffir with fruit juice (bought or homemade) but again I have never been a fan of fruit juice, preferring to eat the whole fruit.

Ingredients for making water kefir, from left-15 grams of water kefir grains, 500 mls filtered water, pinch of salt, pinch of bicarb, 15 grams of good quality sugar (I used organic raw sugar) and 1/2 teaspoon molasses. You will also need a lidded jar to start the fermentation in, as always, I have just recycled a tall glass jar for this purpose, love my glass jars!

The kefir grains look like little amber, gel like, blobs

In a jug, mix up the water, pinch each of salt and bicarb, molasses and sugar, then add the kefir grains

Pour into fermentation jar and let sit on counter top for 24 to 48 hours, giving it a gentle swoosh and shake every now and then, the instructions suggest you taste the water kefir every now and then, just to get used to what 12 hour, 24 hour and 48 hour water kefir tastes like. 

After 48 hours (no longer than that as the kefir grains will starve) strain the kefir grains and set the liquid for its second ferment. This is where you can flavour it with fruit juice, I chose to just add the extra tablespoon of sugar and flavour it with ginger and mint. After you have flavoured it, this jar then sits on the counter for 5 to 7 days for its second ferment, this is where it gets bubbly.
Now, if you want to continue the process, start by measuring out 15 grams of kefir grains (they multiply) storing the surplus grains in the fridge in a glass container. Then start the process all over again
Fizzy water kefir

I have a glass of this delightful probiotic first thing in the morning, it is the nicest way to get more beneficial flora happening in your gut.

Have you ever tried water or milk kefir? What flavour do you add for the water kefir?

2 comments:

  1. I know it is different, but we love our Kombucha. Same principle with all the similar benefits of fermented food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have goat milk kefir for years; love it! as can't do cow's milk. Never heard before about the water kind, a fascinating idea! ldc

    ReplyDelete