Saturday, 29 April 2017

What we bought, spent and ate this week

Hello Dear Reader,

As we have changed the way we shop and what day we do the shopping, I am now going to post "What we bought, spent and ate" on a Saturday morning. We now shop at the weekend markets and pick the odd item up from the supermarket on the way home. I still menu plan, but I am a bit more relaxed, buying meat from the market that is a good price, that particular week. I always ask, "What is your best buy this week" and they are more that happy to tell us. I am loving this new way of shopping as I feel the money is going directly to the grower/producer, I find it better value for money and we shop in a more relaxed atmosphere, what's not to love?

This is what we have been up to on the "What we bought, ate and spent" front-

What we bought
On the left-shopping from Coles and ALDI shopping on the right

Shopping from the Northside Fruit Barn

Shopping from the Jetty Sunday Markets

What we spent
Coles-$30.40 plus $9.44 for chicken breast (Not pictured-this is for dog training which I am starting with our newly inherited dogs) and a dozen free range eggs

Northside Fruit Barn-$39.20

Sunday Jetty Markets-$63.20

Woolworths-$17.00 (Not pictured) another dozen free range eggs and dry dog food

TOTAL-$195.89

What we ate
Saturday-Pumpkin and Bacon Pasta 

Sunday and Monday-Marinated Pork Porterhouse with Potato, watercress and avocado salad

Tuesday-Pumpkin Soup with grilled Bacon and Croutons, I was so disappointed when I cut the pumpkin to find it a bit pale and sappy, the soup was okay, but not as sweet as it normally is. I don't normally buy whole pumpkins for this very reason, at least when it is cut you can see the colour

Wednesday-Steamed Cod with ginger and spring onions, steamed basmati rice and choy sum. Lovely hubby and son had caught the fish just the day before, so fresh

Thursday-Pineapple and Ginger Chicken, steamed basmati rice and bok choy

Friday-Caesar Salad, I cut up the rest of these bread rolls for the croutons, so yummy

With an egg on top for extra protein, just delicious. This is the recipe I use for the dressing but I also add 1 teaspoon of  Dijon mustard to it and I don't use that much oil, using only 1/4 cup of rice bran oil instead, I feel 1/2 a cup of oil, that the recipe calls for, is way too much!

So, tell me, what has been on your family dinner table this week?

4 comments:

  1. Our farmers market is once a month and my daughter and I go every time. I buy a lot of fresh produce, honey from a local beekeeper, jam and meat. I also ask them if they have any other cuts available other than what is displayed. They usually then bring out some cheaper cuts which we love. Last month I tried hangar steak. First time I cooked it too much but next time it was much better. We just love the whole atmosphere, supporting our locals, friendly people and getting to know the stall holders. When I know the market is coming up I try to empty the fridge as much as possible and use up leftover veggies ready for a stock up. I then go to other places on the way home for items I could not find at the market.

    I tried a few new recipes this week. There was a chicken, leek and asparagus pie with garlicky potato too, a pasta dish with a difference and tomorrow the slow cooker will be going with one of Rhonda's slow cooked casseroles.

    Your meals look so healthy and fulfilling. Shopping and cooking this way is also so much healthier for our families. I find they're not looking for sugary snacks as much either.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting to know what other people cook and eat during the week, it often sparks some inspiration for my menu plan.

    Monday - Home made Mac Cheese & Salad
    Tuesday - Bought BBQ Chicken with Mexican Salad
    Wednesday - Slow cooker Chicken Biryani with rice
    Thursday - Ginger, Beef and Watercress stir fry with Cous Cous
    Friday - Spaghetti (the sauce was from the freezer, leftover from a double batch, so it made for an easy end of week meal)
    Saturday - Tonight we are going to a relatives birthday party, so we get the night off...YAY!
    Sunday - Roast lamb and Veggies

    I hate it when you buy a dodgy pumpkin like that, I've done it myself from time to time, but they cover it with cling wrap when they cut it! Grrr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your meals always seem so gourmet compared to ours here, Fiona. Delicious smells must come from your kitchen every night! I have been getting lovely whole pumpkins from little organic market I go to and they are just so beautiful when I cut them open. (I don't buy pieces because they come wrapped in cling wrap) I used some this week to make pumpkin soup which is now in freezer ready for couple of meals this week. Tonight, we are having a pasta bake with a ricotta topping, using up leftover lasagna meat sauce I made last week and froze. One thing I always do, every week, is make up trays of roasted veg because we have this with meat for dinner one night and then the leftovers in omelettes, salads and toasted wraps during the week. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiona we are in dog training mode here too with two 9 week old pups that joined the household last week. They are sleeping at the moment.

    Your meals look great as always. I think I will add pumpkin soup to next weeks menu. So far I have planned a chicken stirfry and tuna rice slice. If Don goes fishing I might have a fish meal to add to the menu as well. The local authorities have been searching up and down the river closest to us looking for a crocodile. The actual reported sighting was from another river that runs into the same estuary.

    ReplyDelete