Thursday, 25 May 2017

Jamie's Chilli Con Carne

Hello Dear Reader,

I mentioned a while ago, I started Jamie Oliver's, 6 week "Ministry of Food" cooking course, it was a really great course aimed at the beginner cook with knife skills, food hygiene, balanced nutrition and wonderful, everyday recipes taught. I missed the last day of the course due to family issues, but they cooked a whole chicken roast, the length of time you have, is one and a half hours, so they would have been going like the clappers to cook a roast in that time, but no doubt it was done and it would have been nice to finish the course. Never mind, I thoroughly enjoyed the course and todays recipe is probably my favourite. Good old Chilli Con Carne.

I have halved the original recipe, using only 250 grams of beef mince, so it is very economical, filling and loaded with beans and veggies, oh and it is totally delicious! This half quality easily feeds three very hungry adults and probably even enough for a second helping! I cook and freeze ahead chickpeas and portion them into 250 grams lots, this quantity equates to a drained 400 gram can of chickpeas. 

Ingredients for Jamies Chilli Con Carne, clockwise from top right-
1 onion, 1 red capsicum, 1 clove garlic, 1 carrot, 1 stick of celery (I used 1 plus 1 small piece), coriander,  250 grams of beef mince, 1/2 a teaspoon each of ground cumin, ground chilli and ground cinnamon, 1/2 a can each of kidney beans and chickpeas (I froze the remainder together for the next time I make this) 1 tin of diced tomatoes and not quite a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar

In a large, non stick, heavy based frypan or saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and capsicum in a small amount of oil, then add the cumin, chilli powder and cinnamon along with salt and pepper to taste

Add the drained kidney beans and chickpeas to the frypan and move everything to one side, add the mince, browning and breaking up the mince as you go

Once the mince is cooked through, mix sautéed veggies through and add the tin of tomatoes, half refill empty can with water, swish and add water to mixture in frypan, mix well and bring to the boil
Then turn heat down to low and let blip away for about an hour. Just before serving add the finely chopped coriander

Meanwhile make a guacamole to go with the Chilli-
Chop some tomatoes, chilli and coriander, add to a bowl, now mix in avocado and then squeeze over lime juice.

Mix well and refrigerate until needed

Once the Chilli has reduced and has thickened it is ready to serve. Serve with steamed rice, natural yoghurt and guacamole. YUM!

I have a rice cooker and it gets used at least twice a week, I love it because it is set and forget. I haven't tried Jamie's method of cooking rice as yet but when they made it to go with the Chilli at the course, the rice was super light and fluffy. Jamie's method is-

Put a large pan of salted water on to boil
Rinse rice in a colander under running water for about a minute or until water run clear
Add your rice to the boiling water and wait for the rice to start dancing around, from this point, boil for 5 minutes
Drain in a colander
Pour about 2.5 cms of water into the pan again and bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer
Place the colander of rice on top of the pan of simmering water and let the rice steam over it for 8 to 10 minutes
Remove from heat and serve immediately
The rice will be super light and fluffy

This is a delicious, easy and very economical meal, of course you can make up the whole quantity if you have more mouths to feed, just double the quantities above. I am sure there are millions of different recipes for Chilli, what do you put in yours?

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the steamed rice! I shall try to remember that. I usually bake it for an hour in a covered dish. It's not light and fluffy but it's still good.
    I don't eat meat, so all of my chili's are made with lots of beans. We never eat it over rice. I notice that a lot of people from 'across the pond do, though. Does it have to do with whole proteins, I wonder?
    Anyway, thanks for the insight!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made his chilli con carne and it's delicious. One of my favourite recipes too. I can't remember if I got it from his website or one of his cook books. Huge portions.

    ReplyDelete