Sunday, 28 May 2017

Thai Pork and Noodle Soup

Hello Dear Reader,

I mentioned a few weeks ago how I had a Wombok that kept on giving, I suppose it was my fault for choosing the best value for money Wombok I could find! This thing was really big and went into so many dishes, I think this one was my favourite though. I actually anticipated some laksa paste left over from when I made the Fish and Noodle Laksa but that recipe used the whole jar, so I had to buy another one. I love a tasty, good for you broth and this one is perfect, lots of wonderful laksa-y broth with little pork balls, noodles and veggie, a complete meal in a bowl. I fiddled with the original recipe to reflect the ingredients I had at home already.

Ingredients for Thai Pork and Noodle Soup, clockwise from top right-
2 tablespoon laksa paste, 2 teaspoons curry powder of your choice, a tin of coconut milk, 2 spring onions, finely chopped, 1 red onion, finely chopped, 2 kaffir lime leaves, 2 garlic gloves, grated on a microplane, a good size knob of ginger, finely sliced, 2 litres of chicken stock (I use Massel Chicken stock cubes) a good handful of coriander, 1/2 a Wombok, finely sliced and a packet of rice noodles

Finely chop red onion, grate garlic on a microplane and finely slice ginger

Finely chop the stems and the tops of the coriander, keep the tops for later. The variety of coriander I use is Sawtooth or Perennial Coriander. I simply cut the leaf away from the central stem to separate. You will need coriander tops for both the broth and the pork meatballs


Cut Wombok finely and reserve for later


Finely slice the spring onions, reserve for later

In a large saucepan, heat some oil on medium heat, add garlic, ginger, red onion, coriander stems, kaffir lime leaves, curry powder and Laksa paste. Give it a good stir and sauté for one minute

Pour in chicken stock a little at a time and then simmer for 10 minutes

Ingredients for meatballs, clockwise from top left-
1 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped coriander and 500 grams pork mince
Add all meatball ingredients to a bowl

Using your hands, mix well to combine

As you roll the meatballs, drop them gently into the hot soup to cook through

Now add the Wombok, coconut milk, coriander and spring onions

Cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes

Cook noodles according to directions on packet. Lay some cooked noodles in a bowl and ladle soup over the top

There is a bit of preparation involved but the actual cooking time is very little, it is easily do-able on a weeknight and as I mentioned is a complete meal in a bowl. Warming and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment