Monday, 12 June 2017

Good Old Fashioned, Slow Cooked, Beef Stew

Hello Dear Reader,

It has turned quite cold here in our part of the world and when it is cold, I crave warming, stick to your ribs, kind of food. This good old fashioned beef stew does exactly that, warms your heart and is filling and nutritious. It is the kind of beef stew my Mum used to make, with simple, every day ingredients that you could find in any kitchen pantry. You can skip the browning of the beef if you like, Jane over at "Frugal Queen" never faffs around like this and her slow cooks always look lovely. I think browning the meat does give more flavour though. 

Ingredients for Good Old Fashioned, Slow Cooked, Beef Stew, clockwise from top right-
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon paprika, 800 grams of slow cook beef like chuck or shin,  cut onto large cubes, 1/4 cup plain flour plus 2 extra tablespoons, 3 large carrots, 1 stalk of celery, about 400 grams of potatoes, 1 large onion, salt and pepper and 1 1/2 cup beef stock (I use Massel stock cubes)

Add the flour and a good grind of salt and pepper to a lidded container

Add about half the cubed beef to the container, put lid on and shake, shake, shake. Repeat with remaining beef

Heat a non stick, heavy based frypan to medium heat, add a small amount of oil and brown beef on all sides. Repeat with remaining beef

As you brown the beef, add to the bowl of your slow cooker

Dice onion and roughly chop celery, garlic and carrot

In the same fry pan, sauté the veggies until softened slightly

Now add the 2 tablespoons of extra plain flour

And continue to sauté until flour has cooked out, about 5 minutes

Add sautéed veggies to browned beef in slow cooker bowl
Put frypan back on medium heat

And add the beef stock, bring to the boil, stirring and scraping all the goodness from the bottom of the pan, pour this liquid gold over the beef and veggie in the slow cooker bowl

Roughly cut the potatoes into chunks

And add to slow cooker bowl, now give everything a really good mix, cleaning the edges of the slow cooker when you are finished mixing

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, the beef and veggies will be melting tender and totally delicious. 

The whole house will smell divine and for very little time in the morning you will be rewarded with an almost complete meal at night. 

Tell me, what is your favourite, winter time, slow cooked dinner?


4 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! That looks delicious and so hearty and filling. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same with some Lamb Shanks A bargain 2 good sized ones for $6.00. Did hubby and I for 2 nights. Got to love the slow cooker

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you pat your beef dry with an old tea towel first, it browns up much better for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been away for a week, and it's been so cold I thought I would make a beef casserole tonight, I found a recipe online, and went and bought the meat and few bits I needed, but before I started making it, I sat down to catch up on a few favourite blogs, it was very ironic that one of the first posts I read was this one, I ditched the other recipe I found, and I am making yours! It's bubbling away as I type this :)

    ReplyDelete