Home made Laundry Liquid

From top left- Lectric Washing Soda (emptied into glass jars for storage), Bare Essentials Borax, Sard Wonder Soap

I have been meaning to making laundry liquid ever since reading about it on one of my favourite Blogs, Down to Earth. I was a bit apprehensive but was willing to give it a go just to see if it worked and worked well enough to satisfy my sparkling clean laundry obsession.
Well, I have to say it was easier than I expected and the results, so far, are great.
Take your time when dissolving the soaps on the stove as you want everything to really dissolve properly.
There will be heaps of Washing Soda and Borax left to make many more batches, you just need to buy another cake of Sard Wondersoap to go with the other ingredients
I use about one quarter to a half a cup of this Laundry Liquid to a load of washing.

So all you need is...

Ingredients

1 cake of Sard Wondersoap (blitzed in the food processor)

1/2 cup of washing soda

1/2 cup of Borax

This amount will make about 10 litres of Laundry Liquid

These items were all found at my local Coles and cost a total of $10.64

Method

To a medium sized saucepan add the following:

Blitzed or grated cake of Sard Wondersoap

1/2 cup Washing Soda

1/2 cup of Borax

1 1/2 cups of water

Put the saucepan on the medium heat and stir till completely dissolved, remember, take your time

Remove the saucepan from the heat and take it outside

Get a 10 litre bucket and measure in 8 litres of water

Add the hot soapy mixture and stir well

Syphon/pour into empty containers for storage

It will thicken when cooled down

It will also separate so always give your Home Made Laundry Liquid a good shake before using

If you know you have a tricky stain, I would pre treat it or add some Napisan Oxy Action to the load

This makes a very economical Laundry Liquid and it makes your clothes smell like the washing I remember as a child. There were no fancy ingredients or perfumes put in Laundry Liquid back then, I guess. It plain and simple and it works. Give it go, you have nothing to lose!

So tell me, what other household cleaners have you made yourself, at home?

Thanks for reading and have a great day.









3 comments

  1. I also have used the laundry liquid recipe from down to Earth for over a year now. It is extremely economical. I have a family of 7 to wash for and used to buy OMO sensitive laundry powder as my daughter has eczma. It would cost us a small fortune. I was apprehensive at first that the home made detergent would irritate my daughters skin but it hasn't. I bought a tub of borax and box of washing soda plus a box of lux flakes to save me grating the soap. These ingredients costing under $20 lasted me a whole year. I do use a capful of ALSI's laundry booster to deal with my children's stuborne stains but if I use the sard bar of soap I may be able to get away with out it. I also use vinegar and bicarb on my kitchen bench tops and metho for windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make this version of a spray cleaner for the kitchen and benches anywhere, its better than spray and wipe by far! http://simplybythebeach.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/miracle-spray.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make this too and have used it for a number of years.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top