Creamy Bacon and Asparagus Pasta

Hello Dear Reader,

I adore Mels recipes from Mels Kitchen Cafe, simply love them. I keep telling everyone about her blog and her "no fail recipes", now thats a big call, but I swear, it's true. Every recipe I have used is perfect and just like hers. So with my blog readers in mind, I had to give this recipe a go. I have adapted the recipe, in that I saute' the bacon until golden brown but not crisp and have converted the recipe to metric measurements.

I used my favourite, non stick pan for this recipe, it just make cooking anything a breeze.

Again, I think this would be fantastic in the cooler seasons of Autumn/Winter as it's not exactly ideal for our still very hot and sticky Autumn.


Saute' bacon till golden brown and remove from pan, drain on paper towel
Saute' Mushrooms till golden brown, remove from pan
Add milk and chicken stock and bring to the boil
Add pasta and let cook for 9 minutes
Add Asparagus and let cook for 3 minutes
Add the 1 cup of leftover milk, cream cheese and flour to a food processor and blitz till super smooth
Add this milk, cream cheese and flour mix to cooked pasta and asparagus, keep stirring till thickened
Return Bacon and Mushrooms to pan, give it a good stir and heat through
Top with extra grated Parmesan, it's the perfect one pot dish!

Ingredients

350 grams Penne Pasta

6 slices Smoky Bacon rashers

250 grams Mushrooms, chunkily sliced

1 bunch Asparagus, cut in to 2 cm pieces

115 grams Cream Cheese (I used spreadable)

3 cups milk (I used powdered milk, as I don't keep milk in the house)

4 cups chicken stock (made with Massel Chicken stock cube)

1/2 cup grated Parmesan (I use a Microplane to grate the Parmesan)

2 tablespoons of plain flour

Salt and Pepper to taste

Method

Cook bacon until golden brown, remove from pan and let drain on paper towel

Cook mushrooms until golden brown, remove from pan

Add 2 cups of milk and 4 cups of chicken stock , and bring to a boil( I know it seems like a lot of liquid, but the pasta soaks it up, really)

Add pasta and let cook for 9 minutes

While pasta is cooking, blitz the left over, 1 cup of milk, cream cheese and plain flour until smooth

When pasta cooking time is up add Asparagus and cook for 3 minutes

When Asparagus cooking time is up add blitzed milk, cream cheese and flour mix to pan, stirring well until thickened

Return Bacon and Mushrooms to pan, give it a really good stir and let heat through

Add Salt and Pepper to taste

Add grated Parmesan and stir well

Serve with extra Parmesan grated over the top

Super delicious, super easy, one pot, what's not to love.

So, tell me, what is your best one pan recipe?
















1 comment

  1. Hi Fiona, I made this tonight and we loved it! Usually my husband is very much a meat eater but licked his lips over this - thankyou!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top