Semi-Dried Tomatoes with Oregano

Hello Dear Reader,

I had four big tomatoes that were very ripe and needed to be used up. I love tomatoes and often have them for lunch with crackers and cheese or on a toasty with cheese.

Cheese, semi-dried tomato and pickled Jalapeno chillies toasty on Breakfast Muffin bread
This week the tomatoes didn't seem to get used and they were well and truly ready to be eaten. I don't like to put tomatoes in the fridge as I think it changes their taste and, as you know I detest waste so this is how I use up tomatoes. It's my version of semi-dried tomatoes, Super easy and super delicious. 

Cut tomatoes into eighths and put onto a lined oven tray
Sprinkle over chopped oregano, salt and pepper and oil (I use Rice Bran oil for everything)
Put oven tray into a very slow oven, as low as your oven goes, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Let the tomatoes cool completely, put into a glass jar and fill jar with oil.

Ingredients

Tomatoes

Fresh oregano

Salt and Pepper

Rice Bran oil

Method

Preheat oven to the lowest temperature 

Cut tomatoes in to eighths and put onto a lined oven tray. Bunch the tomatoes up, so they are touching each other on the tray

Finely chop Oregano and sprinkle over top of tomatoes

Grind over salt and pepper and then drizzle some oil over the top

Put into preheated oven and let it slowly cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours

Let the tomatoes cool completely then put into a sterilised glass jar (I put all my jars and lids into the dishwasher, after going through a cycle, I consider them sterilised)

Cover completely with oil and seal jar and store in the fridge  

To serve take out of fridge and let come to room temperature before serving

I wish I could grow, harvest and preserve, if needed, every fruit and vegetable we eat, alas, for the moment that is just a dream. Doing these little things like preserving tomatoes, making Pineapple Cordial and making our daily Bread, I think, are steps in the right direction. One day I would love to be self sufficient, own a eco friendly home, be off the grid and just stay home every day and garden, sew and be in the kitchen until my heart is content. One day!

So, tell me, what do you do, everyday, in small or big ways, to work towards your dream?






No comments

Back to Top