My Thai Sauce

Hello Dear Reader,

As I have mentioned before, my hubby is a wonderful fisherman and we get to eat a lot of fresh fish. We tend not to "mess" with it too much as the fish is so fresh and looked after from the moment it is caught through to freezing it, if needed. My favourite fish is Pearl Perch, but hubby only catches that particular species a few times a year. Now, that is a fish you don't mess with. Simply dusted with seasoned flour and lightly pan fried - oh my, it is so delicious.

Hubby and my son have been catching a lot of Pelagic fish of late and they tend to be stronger in flavour, so to go with these kinds of fish, I make a Thai style sauce that goes with the stronger flavour brilliantly. If any one remembers Andrew Ettingshausen, he had a show called "Escape with ET" and this was his Thai style sauce for fish. I think it would also go with chicken or beef, although I haven't tried it as yet. The fish I used for this recipe is Mackerel and was just perfect for this Thai sauce. I love this sauce really punchy, but go on your taste and adjust as needed.

I have modified the original recipe to suit my taste

Ingredients for My Thai Sauce
Cut up Spring Onions finely, grate Ginger and Garlic on a microplane, chop chilli up finely, add all other ingredients to a lidded jar. Screw lid on and give it a good shake
Pour sauce over cooked fish
Serve with steamed Rice and Asian Greens

Ingredients

2 to 3 Spring Onions, depending on size

Juice from 2 Limes

1 - 2 tablespoons Fish Sauce

2 Teaspoons Light Soy Sauce

2 - 3 teaspoons Brown Sugar

2 teaspoons grated Ginger

2 teaspoons grated Garlic

3 or more Chillies, depending on how much heat you can handle, The chillies I used are a small red variety but they are not that hot

Method

Finely slice Spring Onions

Grate Ginger and Garlic

Finely slice Chillies

Add all above ingredients to a screw top jar

Now, add all other ingredients, screw on lid and give it a good shake

Leave to rest for about 30 minutes to let the flavours mingle

Pour over cooked Fish and serve with Steamed Rice and Asian Greens

So, tell me, what is you favourite way to cook and eat fish? I am always looking for new ways to serve our abundance of fish, want to share your recipes?





7 comments

  1. Hi Fiona, I discovered your blog after Rhonda featured it on her Weekend Reading post. I have been enjoying reading and exploring back over your earlier posts. Your joy from cooking good food and looking after your home shine through your writing. Well done on starting your blog and keep up the great work! I will definitely continue reading & will have to try some of your delicious recipes soon! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KR, thanks for the positive feedback, I am so happy that my writing conveys my absolute joy in cooking and just being at home doing home-y stuff. Have a great day

      Delete
  2. Hi Fiona, your Thai sauce sounds delicious! I will give it a try. I don't have any ginger just now but need to pick up some fruit and veg tomorrow and will add ginger to the mix. I have some bird's eye chilli that I was given recently so will put a little of that in.

    Is your bok choy home grown?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diann, no the bok choy pictured is not mine, I have just planted some more though, from saved seeds. I hope you enjoy the Thai sauce, taste as you go though, I like it really punchy!

      Delete
  3. Hello. I too have discovered your blog through Down to Earth. I've spent some time reading your posts and have a wealth of ideas for cooking over the next few weeks. Lots of inspiration to be found. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Veronica, I really appreciate it. Have a good week

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Back to Top