This weeks 5 Frugal thing on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

As you probably know by now,  I try to live a simple, frugal life. I think about all purchases, long and hard before I actually do the buying part. I do as much research and comparison as I can and when I am satisfied I am getting the best buy, for me, I go ahead and do it. Obviously you can't do that in all facets of your life, like emergency situations, the weekly groceries, or the regular Utilities and payments, but for all other non emergency stuff you can have a go at doing more research and comparisons to make sure what you are buying is the best financial fit for you.

Frugality doesn't mean you never buy anything, it also doesn't mean that you are a cheapskate, for me frugality means being savvy with your money and always making sure you get the very best value for your money that you can. We all work hard for our money, why throw it away?

Our oven has been slowing dying for about a year, I now have to chock the door with a wooden spoon so the door stays closed. I have been researching and comparing ovens since October last year and I have found one that ticks all the boxes. So on Monday we went and bought a new oven. We made comparisons and asked for the best price from 2 large retailers. And we were able to come away with the best price possible. Undercutting even the online price and getting a huge discount on an extended warranty. It really does pay to be patient.

So, here we go, this weeks 5 Frugal things on a Friday


1. We bought a new oven, paying best price for it and it will save electricity as it won't leak heat.

2. We ate leftovers to stop any waste

3. I planted out some saved (free) Basil seeds. I let the Basil go to seed and collect and dry the seed heads

4. We repurposed a pot that was sitting idle and repotted the Pomegranate into it

The Pomegranate has started to flower again, I am hoping it will be happier in the new, bigger pot.

5. Caught the warm up shower water in buckets to water the figs out the front

So, tell me, what were your frugal achievements this week?





16 comments

  1. Hi, my best frugal thing this week was making 4 portions of butternut squash and sweet potato soup for less than the price of one can of ready made and without the additives, very yummy - Tam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tam, I am a huge fan of Pumpkin and Sweet Potato soups, delish, I can't wait for the cooler weather to enjoy homemade soups.

      Delete
  2. Hi Fiona, I just read about your blog on Rhonda's blog. You have some nice recipes here by the looks of it. You are doing well with your blog. It is a great way to document what is going on in the garden, kitchen etc. isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nanna Chel, I have also found your blog via "A Tray of Bliss". Love your blog title. I agree with you, blogging is a great way to document your daily life. Thanks for the positive feed back!

      Delete
  3. Hi, just found your blog and find it very inspirational! My biggest frugal thing that I`ve done this week is used the two big blimps of zucchini that escaped undetected and, instead of throwing them out, used them to make soup (some I froze) zucchini fritters (with a sweet chilli and sour cream dipping sauce) and salad, and a chocolate zucchini cake. A couple of meals and afternoon tea from something that even the chooks would have turned their beaks up at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Corinne, wow that's fantastic! All that from 2 Zucchini's! Thanks for dropping by and also commenting. Happy Frugal Friday

      Delete
  4. g'day!
    came over from the down to earth blog, Rhonda's weekend reading, have gone through & read a few of your posts & found i have same trouble trying to get vegies to grow to picking size, i fight the heat mostly then bugs, hundreds this last season, of grasshoppers the size of my hand! they ate everything! usually birds get in & pick them off but they were mostly absent this year plus i had most in containers as thought it might work better. ohhh well, i keep planting & trying ...
    was nice to meet you
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina B, my Dad always said gardening is not for whimps! Now I know what he meant. It is hard work and even with this hard work you are not guaranteed anything to show for it. Thanks for reading and commenting, all these kind comments have really made my day.

      Delete
  5. I am another who 'found" your blog via Rhonda. I love the way you explain how you do things, very helpful for young readers.
    My major problem with growing veg is the heavy clay soil. We have only been here a little over 18 months and only started growing things last spring. Slowly the clay soil is being fixed with gypsum, mushroom compost and next week some sugar cane mulch will be added. This soil however seems to be perfect for rhubarb, I picked some and have bottled 4 jars for winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, thanks for the positive feed back. I am a visual person and love step by step instructions so I guess that's why I do it this way, it makes sense to me. I would love to think that I am helping younger cooks with their cooking adventures.
      When we built our house it was on "reclaimed" land and the soil was just awful. I only have a tiny patch of improved soil, it's taken 13 years but it is beautiful soil now. I also adore rhubarb, I will have to give it a go.

      Delete
  6. I'm also coming over from Rhonda's blog, and I have been spending quite some time looking around here. I like the many pictures and I really appreciate the links you provide to other simple living/homesteading blogs.
    My frugal thing to do last week was put seeds in the soil, at least where we have some available spots. I'll have to look what comes up, as most of them were outdated. I've also spotted some young nettles and I am going to pick them before my husband weeds them out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for commenting, it has really made my day. Nettles and edible weeds is something I haven't dabbled in as yet, I believe some of them are very good for you. Have a great weekend

      Delete
  7. Love your blog . look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thank you for visiting, I try to blog every day and try for variety, you are welcome any day

      Delete
  8. I also found your blog through Rhonda's list and have just spent all morning reading it from the beginning! I really enjoyed it.

    Are all your plants in containers or do you have garden beds as well? I am a very new gardener and your herbs and tomatoes and everything look terrific! Looking forward to following your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diann, Yes a lot of plants in pots and one vegetable garden( which measures about 2 meters by 4) in the very corner of our ordinary size city block. In the veggie garden I have 2 Red Paw Paw trees, which I am beside my self with joy that they have not only survived but I think they are going to fruit!! I am also growing 2 types of Chillies, a big Lime tree (not actually planted in the soil as yet, it is still a pot) and a self propagated pumpkin vine. I have had more failures than success but I still keep trying. Thanks for commenting, it really means a lot to me. Have a great weekend

      Delete

Back to Top