My Secret Obsession

Hello Dear Reader,

Now before you read any further, I am totally fine with this obsession and, no I don't need and intervention, thanks anyway. My secret obsession is...collecting really good glass jars. I just can't walk past a good glass jar, large or small!

 Now for as long as I remember I have collected glass jars, I am quite fussy though, the label needs to be one that I can remove easily and there can be no smell attached to the jar, either in the jar itself or the lid. Ideally the jar needs to have a wide mouth and be cylindrical in shape for easy filling and cleaning. I have collected a few fancy shaped ones but find I don't use these as they are not practical.
My collection of glass jars at the moment, some bought, but most collected from op shops and recycled glass jars we have bought with produce in,  such as Dijon mustard and Pasta sauce. 
All my dry produce are kept in clear glass jars or containers
Some lids just won't let go of an odour, even after several washed in the Dishwasher, so these odorous ones are kept for pickles and chutneys. I have two wonderful, proper clip lock, sealing jars, that once had Anchovies in them, it is amazing to me that that smell didn't linger! I use these jars for my home made peanut butter as it is the perfect size and shape.

This old Anchovy jar is now a Peanut Butter jar, no lingering odour, thank heavens
So, tell me, is it just me? Does anyone else have this kind of obsession?

7 comments

  1. I recently washed a jar that had crushed garlic in it, in the dishwasher! Normally, I think I throw that jar out into the recycling. Anyway, it made the whole dishwasher stink of garlic, so badly that I had to run a dishwasher cleaner thingy through it. I'm a sucker for a nice looking jar too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I had a laugh when I read this as I'm sure I suffer from the same obsession.... although I'm not as disciplined with getting the labels off before I squirrel them away.. what are your tips for easy label removal & smell removal? Do you just wash them in dishwasher or soak them? And where do you normally have luck in finding large jars? I still use large plastic containers for flours, pasta, rice, etc because I don't have any large enough glass jars. I keep thinking my collection will come in handy when I get a chance to try making my own jams & sauces. Cheers, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love good old Eucalyptus oil to remove stubborn labels, I soak the jars first for a day to help soften and loosen the label, I then either peel it off it one go (sometimes happens) or attack it with a butter knife (mostly happens) I then dry it and apply the Eucalyptus oil and the rest of the label and residue usually comes off. I then put it into the dishwasher along with the lid and the jars and lids are usually squeaky clean and odour free. As I said, if it is a good jar but won't let go of an odour I will just use it for pickles or chutneys. As for where I source them, I look at op shops and markets (the trash and treasure kind) With my really big flour jars I found them at a "cheap shop" out at Rothwell on the Redcliffe Peninsula. You never know what you will find in some of those shops.

      Delete
  3. I know just how you feel, I really love those dip/salsa jars. They are perfect for jam, if the lid is smelly I wont buy it, as I only want them for jam. I don't buy the salsa, but am glad lots of others do, so I usually pick them up for 20c-50c each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, salsa smell is very stubborn!! I guess we must look a bit funny, opening the jars and smelling them before we buy them, but hey it has to be done by someone, right!

      Delete
  4. How would putting the lids in the freezer go? Like they used to recommend with tuppaware. I've started replacing my over 30yo tuppaware with large coffee jars. Some of the old plastic is slowly breaking down. My biggest problem is storing all the empty jars. Am about to fill some with Tomato and Date chutney from the summer left overs. Sandra from NSW with no blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me at Tomato and Date Chutney! that sounds amazingly yummy!
      Thanks for the tip about freezing the lids, will give it a go.
      Hope you had a splendid Sunday

      Delete

Back to Top