This weeks 5 Frugal things on a Friday

Hello Dear Reader,

I am so enjoying reading one of my new books that I got for my birthday, it's called "Backyard Self Sufficiency" by Jackie French. It is such a practical book, written in a no nonsense style, that I can easily relate to. I think having a productive garden and being frugal go hand in hand, as is anything that you do to improve how you run your home to be more efficient and economical.


Lately I have been finding that if I just wait a bit longer, rather than going out and buying what I think I need, a frugal solution comes along. An example of this is-I wanted a lovely trellis to support a Wisteria, now this poor Wisteria is another one of my Son's off casts, from when he was doing the art of Bonsai. This Wisteria has had a hard life but now I have cut it right back, repotted it, moved it to a new position. We had an extra piece of fencing that has been lying around for years, one day I looked at it and thought"what if I upended it, it would make a perfect trellis" so a trellis it is. I have an idea of encouraging the Wisteria into the shape of a love heart, I think it will look lovely.

This little frugal idea contributes to "This weeks 5 Frugal things on a Friday"

1. Cut back, repotted and moved the above mentioned Wisteria. Hopefully this will give it a new lease on life

2. Line dried all the washing

3. Used a voucher for our Thursday night "Pizza night"


4. Cleaned the house and did the laundry using homemade cleaners and laundry liquid



5. Rode to work everyday. Yesterday was the first cooler morning and I am hoping to ride all through Autumn and Winter, rugged up against the cold

So, tell me, what frugal or free things did you get up to this week?

3 comments

  1. Although I'm still working n acquiring Rhonda's new book I think I may also have to add Jackie's to the list. As for frugal things this week. I cooked all our meals at home, repurposed left over pasta and chicken in the fridge into a pasta bake for an extra meal, got 40% off some clothes I bought with money from mothers day and also made a new batch of laundry detergent. I first started making my own detergent over a year now and with a large family have just run out of the last of the purchased ingredients from a year ago. I think that it is one of the most frugal things I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear new friend,
    I stumbled across your blog and really like reading about someone as like-minded as me! I have always loved taking care of my home, my family, and gardening. Sadly, we sold our home and moved closer to the city and family 3 years ago and we're not super happy with our home. We like being closer to the city and family so the search is on for a different home. In the mean time, I still cook all our meals from scratch but I no longer have a garden. On the flip side, I now live about a 4 minute drive from my elderly parents who still have a large garden and they are delighted to include my family in their gardening plans each year. The bless us with strawberries, beans, squash, carrots, peppers, onions and the list goes on. They are in their mid-80s but this keeps them going and I get to help them when they need help with dr appointments and those kinds of things. My kids are all kind of adults two still studying at college and one a graduate and a teacher.

    I love all your frugal things going on and your meals are somewhat different as I've never heard of some of them but interesting none-the-less. I'm in West Michigan, USA and we're heading into springtime.

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice,
      Welcome aboard stay home instead,
      How wonderful that you are able to be close to your family and the extra bonus of fresh fruit and veggies! There is no doubt that gardening keeps you young, not only are you eating fresh produce but it is all that incidental exercise that comes with gardening that keeps the body moving. I wish you luck in finding the perfect match in a home, the right one will come along in time. Thanks for reading and have a great weekend.

      Delete

Back to Top