Chickpea and zucchini patties

Hello Dear Reader,

I like to have a meat free meal every now and again, we don't eat a lot of meat anyway but I like to have a break from even the small amount of meat we eat. I have already posted a recipe for my
Feta and Spinach/Silverbeet Parcels and this is another protein rich, filling and delicious meat alternative dish

I batch cook my dried chickpeas in the slow cooker and freeze them in portions in clip lock bags, it is so convenient to have these little protein rich pulses ready to roll

Ingredients for Chickpea and Zucchini Fritters
Gently pulse Chickpeas, in a food processor, you want texture not mush, so go gently
In a bowl, combine chickpeas, zucchini, lemon zest, onion and dill, stir well
Now add the eggs and flour
Again, give it a good stir with a butter knife
Fry 1/4 cupfuls in hot oil in a heavy based frypan
Golden deliciousness
These patties make a delicious and wholesome meal. I think these patties would also be great in flatbread with herby yoghurt, tomato and lettuce
Ingredients

1 can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed or equal amount of home cooked chickpeas
(I must admit I just guesstimated the amount of chickpeas when I was dividing the cooked chickpeas up, to freeze them down) It doesn't really matter, if you have more chickpeas you will just end up with more fritters

1 zucchini, grated

1 brown onion, chopped finely

1/4 cup dill, chopped finely

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest

50 grams SR flour

2 eggs

2 tablespoon milk

Oil for frying the patties

Lemon  wedges to serve

Method

Place cooked chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped, you want texture and nobbly bits, not mush

Put processed chickpeas, zucchini, onion, dill, lemon  zest, flour and eggs in a bowl and mix well with a butter knife

Heat oil in a heavy based frypan and fry 1/4 cupfuls of mixture, flattening slightly for 2-3 minutes a side or until golden.

So, tell me, what is your family favourite, meat alternative, meal?

7 comments

  1. Our favorite is a vegetarian Moussaka replacing the meat with green lentils - it's a Delia Smith recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delish, and I love Delia, such a lovely gentle lady.

      Delete
  2. going to give these a try today but will omit the lemon and dill and add garlic chives instead, as I don't have lemon or dill in the house.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that recipes can be changed up according to what we have on hand. They will be delicious with the garlic chives.

      Delete
    2. made them and had some leftover. Have to say they were even better heated up in the oven the next day.

      Delete
  3. I love this. We are going to be hosting a vegetarian, and I can use this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love these little tasty fritters, full of goodness.

      Delete

Back to Top