Pear and Ginger Muffins with Spiced Sugar topping

Hello Dear Reader,

I picked up a kilo bag of Beurre Bosc pears that had been reduce to $1, Tuesday, fortnight ago, what a bargain! They have been lovely in our morning fruit and yoghurt bowls for breakfast, but I wanted to use some in a cake, muffin or for a dessert. Now I know that pears and ginger are best friends and I love to have a crunchy topping on a muffin,  so those marked down, still perfect pears became Pear and Ginger Muffins with Spiced Sugar topping.

Ingredients for Pear and Ginger Muffins with Spiced Sugar Topping
In a bowl, add the brown sugar, oil and egg
Stir well to combine
Add the "*buttermilk" and again combine well. ( * see note)
In another bowl add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger, mix well
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until just combined
Add in the diced pears 
And gently combine
3/4 fill muffin cases and then top with spiced sugar mix, pop into a preheated oven and cook for 18 to 20 minutes


Golden and delicious muffins

...................................................................................................................................................................
Spiced Sugar Topping
Ingredients for spiced sugar topping
In a small bowl combine melted butter, brown sugar and ginger, mix well until all the sugar is "wet" with the butter
Crunchy spiced sugar topping with chunky pears in a ginger spiked sponge, totally delicious


Ingredients for Muffins

3/4 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup oil ( I use Rice Bran Oil for everything)

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk

2 1/2 cups plain flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 cups peeled and chopped pears

Ingredients for Topping

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

2 teaspoon butter, melted


Method

Preheat oven to 180 C, Line muffins tray with muffin papers or silicon muffin cups

In a small bowl beat the brown sugar, oil and egg until well combined, then whisk in buttermilk

*I make my buttermilk by adding either 1 teaspoon of white vinegar OR 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar to 1 cup of milk, after adding the "souring" ingredient, stir milk well. It will start to separate and look a bit lumpy, this is normal and the reaction you are looking for

In another small bowl combine flour, baking powder, ginger, salt and cinnamon, using a dry whisk give the dry ingredients a good stir to combine, aerate and get rid of any lumps. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently combine, Now add pears and again gently combine

3/4 fill waiting muffin papers/liners 

For the topping, combine all ingredients and mix well until all the brown sugar is "wet" with the melted butter, sprinkle this topping over muffins

Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Leave to cool a little in muffin tray for 10 minutes and then remove and cool on a wire cooling rack

Your home will smell as divine as they taste! I think you could also use apples instead of pears in the this muffin recipe but I would omit the ginger and replace that quantity with cinnamon.

As I type, the expected "Weather Event" has started and it is pouring with rain and I thought this would be the perfect recipe to make on a rainy day. The muffins are just beautiful warm from the oven with a cuppa. 


So, tell me, what are you making today? Is it raining where you are?

3 comments

  1. I'm on the other side of the world (south of France) but my son-in-law will love these muffins later in the year. This weekend I'm trying out a Rhubarb pie - my MIL's Plum pie recipe using Rhubarb - fingers crossed it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delish, I love rhubarb, I have tried to grow it without much success.
      I have just seen Paris on the news with all the flooding, I do hope you are okay. The rain has been very heavy, hasn't? We got a lot of unseasonal rain today, but I am so grateful for it, my plants will be jumping out of their pots.

      Delete
  2. I made these this morning using up some of my pears they are very delish thanks for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top