Slow Cooked Beef and Prune Tagine

Hello Dear Reader,

Well, Winter had finally arrived! Yeah for all the warming dished I can make and Boo for the cold morning bike rides to work!

I love the combination of fruits with meats and this one works a treat. The prunes are given some extra love by first soaking them, then giving them a slow warm bath with the gravy from the tagine, some lemon zest, extra cinnamon and some sugar. This is then stirred into the tagine, oh my its a winner!

Ingredients for Slow Cooked Beef and Prune Tagine
Finely chop 2 red onions
In a bowl, combine onions, ground ginger, cinnamon, black pepper, turmeric and some oil 
Stir well to combine
Add diced meat and again stir well to coat
Add can of diced tomatoes, water and half of the toasted almonds slivers. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, giving it a good stir every 2 to 3 hours
For the prunes. Soak the prunes for 20 minutes in boiled water. Drain and combine with 1 cup of cooking liquid, zest of 1 lemon, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar
Bring this mixture to a boil, turn heat down and let it bubble away for 15 minutes
Add prune mixture to cooked tagine and mix well. Serve topped with the rest of the toasted slivered almonds sprinkled over
I served this delicious meal with steamed spuds and broccolini

Ingredients

1 kg of chuck or shin beef, cut into chunky pieces

2 red onions, chopped finely

2 tablespoon oil (I use Rice Bran oil)

1 teaspoon cracked black pepper

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

425 gram can of chopped tomatoes

1 cup water

2 tablespoon sugar

3/4 cup of slivered almonds, toasted

200 grams seeded prunes

Grated zest of 1 lemon

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, extra

Method

Combine finely chopped onion, oil, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and ginger in a large bowl, add beef and stir well to coat beef. Put beef mixture into the bowl of a slow cooker. Now add water, can of tomatoes, half the sugar and 1/2 the almonds and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, stirring every 2 to 3 hours

Remove and reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid

Meanwhile, place the prunes in a bowl and cover with boiling water, let stand for 20 minutes, drain. Place prunes in a small saucepan with zest, extra cinnamon, remaining sugar and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and let bubble away for 15 minutes or until prunes have softened. Stir this prune mixture into the ready tagine

This is such an easy dish as you don't need to brown the meat, it is totally delicious and warming. Now, I know I showed butter being added to the tagine, don't bother, it was a total overload of oil and had to skim the butter oil from the tagine. So my advice is, don't add the butter!

So, tell me, what fruit with meat recipe do you swear by?

3 comments

  1. Those SunSweet prunes are so yummy, I eat them like lollies, to my detriment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joolz,
      Yes I agree, so delish, mum used to make stewed prunes with creamed rice for dessert, we were in heaven, the prunes were so sweet.
      Joolz did you see that I had nominated you for a Liebster Award, I can see that you have been super busy and understand if it's not up your ally.
      Fi

      Delete
  2. There is a chicken dish that I make with prunes, plum jam & ginger that is really nice. Its called Sticky Plum Chicken and was in an old food mag. I have modified it over the years & I make it with brown lentils added, to help stretch the meat further. I'll have to give your recipe a try, it sounds delicious. Cheers, Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top