Sorting the seeds

Hello Dear Reader,

I have been savings seeds for a long time now, any seeds from bought produce, get rinsed and dried and then popped into an envelope. My collection was getting out of hand though and I was on the look out for a partitioned wooden box with a lid to store my seeds. A few Saturdays ago, while looking through an OP shop in Sutton Street, Redcliffe, I found what I was looking for and it was only $5.00! Sweet.

Before the saved seed container makeover
I also learnt how to make origami paper packets from Morag at Our Permaculture Life. They did the trick and now all my saved seeds are sorted and look just beautiful

Origami packets for saved seeds
I used to use envelopes to store my seeds
Saved Jap pumpkin seeds
Saved Jalapeño seeds
Saved Bok Choy, Cherry Pepper, Coriander, Madagascar Bean , Jap Pumpkin, Pidgeon Pea


Saved Seeds in origami packets stored in a beautiful and practical box
So, tell me. how do you keep your saved seeds?

8 comments

  1. Fiona your seed box is not only practical but beautiful as well. I've been making origami envelopes for my seeds for a while. I found the pattern on Pinterest. I have since found an envelope template that I use on old bits of paper, including catalogues. There is one seam for gluing. I just use a glue stick. I have found these keep the loose small seeds better that the origami envelopes. Hubby made me a wooden box with a hinged lid to keep all my seed envelopes in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, I originally got the idea for the seed box from another (not current) blog. His saved seed collection was really in disarray so a friend of his bought over a box similar to mine but much bigger and sorted his seeds out for him! And thanks to Morag for the origami envelope idea. Thanks for reading and leaving a comment, it makes my day.

      Delete
  2. What a great way to store seeds Fiona. That is one cute and practical box!

    My seeds are just poked in envelopes and placed in a box, they are definitely not organised. I like the idea of the origami envelope, I can see I am going to have to make some of those :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania, the little envelopes are super cute, they would be even cuter in patterned paper, wouldn't they? Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Fiona, I have really enjoyed your posts from the last week. Spending fun times with my sisters is one of my favourite things. Norfolk Island looked great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronica, my darling sister is such a love, in our normal lives we don't get to spend too much time together, so having little holidays like these just tops up our memory making time.

      Delete
  4. I love the little origami seed packets and the box to store them in. I have a similar box that I use to store little strands of left over embroidery threads in...sorted by colour. I am loving your Frugal on Friday posts and all your delicious cooking, Fiona. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Meg, making the origami packets was fun! Thanks for stopping by, have a splendid Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top