Home made furniture polish

Hello Dear Reader,

In my quest to rid the home of chemicals, I am replacing bought cleaners with home made replicas. I have a lot of timber furniture and like to use the quickest way to keep it clean and dust free. Up until now my go to, has always been Mr Sheen furniture spray, my mum always used it and the smell of it always brings back good memories, especially of living in our home in Gympie. But I wanted to try a home made version to see if it was just as good.

This version works very well, with a lovely shine and a lasting lavender fragrance. I find it works best sprayed onto a soft cloth and then dust and polish the furniture with the soft cloth. 

Ingredients for home made furniture polish. Oil, Vinegar and Lavender oil

3/4 cup of oil in a spray bottle
Add 1/4 cup white vinegar
Lastly add 2 teaspoons of Lavender oil
Shake well

Ingredients

3/4 cup of vegetable oil, whatever you have at home. I wouldn't use your best olive oil though

1/4 cup white vinegar

2 teaspoons Lavender oil (or you could use lemon oil)

Method

Combine all ingredients in a spray bottle 

Shake vigorously

Spray either directly onto timber furniture or onto a soft cloth and buff until the furniture is free of dust and shines

Before
Spray of homemade furniture polish, it is quite thick, as you would expect with vegetable oil, so you don't get a fine mist of polish. I have found it best to spray onto a soft cloth, then onto the furniture
After
Dust anyone?
No more dust and a lovely lavender fragrance to boot!
So, tell me, what home made cleaners do you find works better than shop bought?

4 comments

  1. I have a homemade hard water stain remover. I use this on windows that have had bore water from the sprinkler dry on them. I have also used it in the bathroom on the shower screen glass and the old water marked tapware, with very pleasing results. I found this on 'One Good Thing by Jillee' blogspot. Its 50/50 washing detergent and heated vinegar. The smell can be a bit overpowering so have open windows. Spray on, give a good rub, I use a soft house broom, and wash off. I don't dry or buff the windows or glass. Gives great results. Hubby used it on the solar panels on the caravan and it really did bring them up well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Fiona,

    Thanks for sharing another great recipe to try.

    I read somewhere the other day that coconut oil does wonders for your furniture. I haven't tried it yet but intend to. Recipe is 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice.

    I only use homemade concoctions in my home these days :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Tania, of course, coconut oil!! Why didn't I think of that! I still have loads of coconut oil from when my father in law was alive. He could never buy anything in small quantities so I inherited 4 litres of organic coconut oil, I am slowly working my way through it and can see myself using it to polish the timber furniture, thanks for the great tip! Hope you have a splendid Sunday
      Fi

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    This above represented post is defining all about Furniture polish. Good points you have shared. Thank you too much........

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top